Rasberry Pi?

More
04 Mar 2012 13:37 #18339 by 2e0poz
Rasberry Pi? was created by 2e0poz
Guys got to ask this question and i know it is down the USB whatever route but it still can not be ignored. There seems to be an opportunity here to have a self contained unit with a small footprint. even if something else like a smooth stepper was required. What's the thoughts? is anything going to happen at some point to utilise usb?

PS

I do understand why it is not used now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2012 15:53 - 04 Mar 2012 16:04 #18348 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
probably not ever going to see USB motion control product hooked to EMC.
see here for an idea why:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Emc2HardwareDesign

Not that it is completely impossible. There are large (in linuxcnc developers opinion) trade offs.
Yishinli has made an linuxcnc based machine that used USB to communicate to a Mesa 7i43 card.
en.araisrobo.com/

In short USB sucks for realtime control. Which means the realtime control must be AFTER the USB connection (ie in the little black box)
which goes against the basic idea of Linuxcnc (PC based motion control).

Chris M
Last edit: 04 Mar 2012 16:04 by cmorley. Reason: add link

More
04 Mar 2012 16:15 #18349 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
And it may be possible to port all of EMC to run on a Raspberry thus keeping EMCs
clean "all control in one place" architecture, and just use USB for appropriate peripherals
(storage, HMI etc)

More
04 Mar 2012 16:24 #18350 by 2e0poz
Replied by 2e0poz on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
Agree entirely and understood most of these points before posting, at the end of the day the usb port is designed for moving data no matter what without much control on speed. In an ideal world the raspberry would have a true timed data port but it dos not. You can see why some of the big boys go down the route of proprietary interface and control. It is a shame as it would be great to exploit this without the need for a true pc. The itx board goes a short way but still is full of bloat hardware that is just not required.

More
04 Mar 2012 18:59 #18357 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
the Raspberry has 17 GPIO pins so should be able to do anything you can do on 1 parallel port (which is also 17 pins)

Its also has SPI (presumable stealing some of the GPIO pins) This allows some fairly high speed
real time connections to external peripherals

More
04 Mar 2012 20:30 #18358 by 2e0poz
That's interesting? I'm still waiting for mine to turn up so will have to have a look at that when it arrives

More
04 Mar 2012 21:23 #18362 by 2e0poz
elinux.org/Rpi_Low-level_peripherals

ok just a good look at the site just now as it has not been available and it could be possible? it would just take somebody better than me to do it?

More
11 Mar 2012 23:29 #18534 by heychris
Replied by heychris on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
All,

I'm a hardware engineer and have done some work with embedded linux. I was curious what the appeal is toward raspberry Pi instead of other single board PC's. I'm a fan of raspberry pi. I've got 2 on ordered. The reason I like raspberry pi is the embedded HD decoder. It's good for connecting to a TV. I'll be using mine to play movies, etc through xbmc.

Has anyone considered a different single board embedded box that has I/O?

More
11 Mar 2012 23:57 #18535 by 2e0poz
For me it's about the small footprint this thing takes without all the extra rubbish that normally comes along with most PC's. It would be nice to stick it in a small controller box with the rest of the kit. With the following this thing has would mean a good LTS as well.

More
12 Mar 2012 01:41 #18536 by heychris
Replied by heychris on topic Re:Rasberry Pi?
I can't agree more. I'm new to linuxCNC, but am a mechanical engineer with embedded linux experience. I've worked on a couple projects that used other single board computers. The benefits are low cost, low power, simple, small, etc.

I wonder what the target criteria is? I've read a bit on the USB to stepper controller discussion. I wonder if a single board computer that has built in pci ports might be a good solution. With the current generation of boards, you can get pretty fast processors, DDR3 memory, etc.

In an ideal world would a 1.2ghz processor be enough? How many pci ports?

Here is a good processor selection tool to get an idea of what's possible.

focus.ti.com/en/multimedia/flash/selection_tools/dsp/dsp.html

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds