Dell Optiplex 9020 micro anyone use them

More
05 Jun 2021 16:47 - 05 Jun 2021 17:09 #211230 by my1987toyota

BTW, fan speed on such PC is in hardware or power sections sometimes labelled as noise something or another, or quiet/normal/performance.

I will look again in the BIOS for that when I get a chance.
That being said you're right, Getting things wired and the Lathe operational has been long over due.

I will be also getting a second 9020 micro for the mill before everyone buys them up. LOL
Last edit: 05 Jun 2021 17:09 by my1987toyota.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2021 21:35 #211251 by tommylight
I am publicly announcing that 9020 is the last ever proper PC made by Dell.
Some new ones i have seen are not worth a dime.
For laptops that ended with the E6500 series, anything after that had unacceptable issues, like faking screen resolution !
For what is worth, some laptops after the fake issues ones were much better, but still not worthy of the Dell name.
And for the sake of public announcement, these are all "Enterprise edition" PC's and laptops, so please do not go buy DELL "home" or "Professional" edition hardware and complain it does not work for LinuxCNC, it will not work, they never did.
The difference in electronics quality is very, very big between those tiers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
06 Jun 2021 00:32 #211264 by my1987toyota

I am publicly announcing that 9020 is the last ever proper PC made by Dell.
Some new ones i have seen are not worth a dime.
For laptops that ended with the E6500 series, anything after that had unacceptable issues, like faking screen resolution !
For what is worth, some laptops after the fake issues ones were much better, but still not worthy of the Dell name.
And for the sake of public announcement, these are all "Enterprise edition" PC's and laptops, so please do not go buy DELL "home" or "Professional" edition hardware and complain it does not work for LinuxCNC, it will not work, they never did.
The difference in electronics quality is very, very big between those tiers.

well if your interested in some further evidence that Dell has lost their way I give you this Linus Tech Tips secret shopper video

More
06 Jun 2021 01:20 #211269 by tommylight

Did you get the one with the ADATA 256GB SSD? Damn that thing was fast, read and write in the 560MB/s !

Well that SSD just died, like an hour ago while i was moving some stuff to it! Dead like rigor mortis already set!
Luckily i have 2 or 3 of them at all times just for keeping stuff safe.
This is your fault, you reminded me that i am still using a 32GB NVME on my main PC that also has a 1TB NVME in it but never in use.
From tonight it is in use, took about 7 minutes to have Mint 19.3 and LinuxCNC with RT and everything.

And yes, i have seen the secret shopper stuff, not just from Linus, and the only conclusion i have come to during this pandemic (had a bit more time to hang on youtube) is this:
CEO's from India have utterly destroyed the computer and electronics .... everything!
Also CEO's that are not engineers, as confirmed by the very abrupt firing of the Intel CEO.

More
06 Jun 2021 12:08 #211289 by my1987toyota

Well that SSD just died, like an hour ago while i was moving some stuff to it! Dead like rigor mortis already set!
Luckily i have 2 or 3 of them at all times just for keeping stuff safe.
This is your fault, you reminded me that i am still using a 32GB NVME on my main PC that also has a 1TB NVME in it but never in use.
From tonight it is in use, took about 7 minutes to have Mint 19.3 and LinuxCNC with RT and everything.

OUCH !!! Sorry my luck is apparently contagious , Or you have the same luck I do. LOL

glad you weren't down for too long.

More
06 Jun 2021 12:47 #211294 by tommylight
Hmm, i've messed up again explaining stuff, just when i think am getting better at it ...
-the dead SDD was used as an external to save stuff on it from time to time
-i am pretty sure it took around 4 minutes for the full install when i did that on the 32GB NVME, so that begs the question : how the hell is a 4 year old 32GB drive faster than a new Intel 1TB drive?????
Oh yes, the abrupt firing and stuff ! :) :) :)
Frankly i do not care it died, i do have at least 2 more with the same stuff on them, mainly important stuff. And this would be the 3 HDD that died on me in total, from literally thousands of them i used. As for USB's, well they die to easily ... :)
Sorry for messing up your topic...

More
06 Jun 2021 13:56 #211301 by my1987toyota
don't sweat it.
My biggest irritation with alot of this stuff is the Planned obsolescence and products being purposely designed
to either not be repairable ( sometimes that can't be helped ) or they are made in such a way that it's more expensive
then it should be to have them repaired.

More
09 Jun 2021 00:00 - 09 Jun 2021 00:04 #211565 by my1987toyota
let me try again
Last edit: 09 Jun 2021 00:04 by my1987toyota.

More
09 Jun 2021 00:02 #211566 by my1987toyota

wire in the Mesa and move something ! :)

Wish granted. LOL.
I just finished rigging the 7i76e and the X and Z stepper divers to turn the
stepper motors.
I will shoot some Video of it this Friday. Stay tuned.

More
09 Jun 2021 00:15 #211573 by tommylight
Nice, always tuned in.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds