Linux graphical interface disappeared

More
29 May 2021 12:45 #210618 by Mr. Mass
Hi all, i built CNC router, and this my first attempt with both LinuxCNC and Linux in general. Thank to everyone on this forum who shared their knowledge, I was able to configure this machine and it worked well. But today the linux stopped loading normally, only text messages appear, no graphical interface. When trying to run linuxcnc from command line an error something about "no display". Before that i added touchpanel to monitor and utility "xinput calibrator", everything worked fine. And after reboot something went wrong and i not really sure where to go from here. Maybe someone has an input for me on this problem, i really would not like to configure everything anew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2021 14:38 #210622 by tommylight
X failed to start, Linux issue so LinuxCNC can not work, so here is a narrowed down search for it:
www.google.com/search?q=debian+x+server+...IcAkMQ4dUDCAY&uact=5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Mass

More
29 May 2021 14:41 #210623 by BeagleBrainz
Quick and dirty method.
1: copy everything in you home directory to a USB stick.
2: Reinstall your OS.
3: Copy USB stick to your home directory. Or basically just copy the linuxcnc folder to your new home directory as this holds all your configs.

Done.
Refer to this to setup touchscreen
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42384-touch-screens#207192

More
29 May 2021 16:24 #210636 by Mr. Mass

X failed to start, Linux issue so LinuxCNC can not work

Thanks for the direction of the search. At first glance it seems insanely challenging job for someone who saw linux for the first time, but i'm trying my best to learn all of this.

Quick and dirty method.

Sound like a plan. It remains to figure out exactly how can do this from the command line.

Refer to this to setup touchscreen
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42384-touch-screens#207192

I found this topic before, but I didn’t understand how to install/run this programm.

More
29 May 2021 20:31 #210648 by BeagleBrainz
Installation is simple;

Clone the git repository
Install the python3 dependencies, tkinter, numpy, via your package manager. Be warned that you will need the python versions of tkinter & nump.
For buster these are named:
python3-numpy
python3-tk
cd into the directory you cloned the repository into
./xcalibrate

More
30 May 2021 05:24 #210657 by Mr. Mass
Thank for tips about install, i'll trying it again when fix my system.

More
30 May 2021 10:03 #210667 by tommylight
If there is nothing important, the easiest way is to do a new install and then follow Beagle's instructions on adding calibration.

More
30 May 2021 20:06 #210729 by andypugh

Sound like a plan. It remains to figure out exactly how can do this from the command line.

There are a few ways to do it described here:
askubuntu.com/questions/37767/how-to-acc...ve-from-the-terminal

Basically you need to "mount" the USB drive, which means setting it up to be a directory in your file system. From that point on any file that you place in that directory will end up physically on the USB drive.

Once you have it mounted, you would use the "cp" copy command. something like
sudo cp -r ~/linuxcnc/ /media/usbdrive

"sudo" because you might not have access rights to where the usb drive is mounted. Unless you mount it somewhere in your home folder, which you can, if you want.
"cp" is copy
"~" is a shortcut to your own home directory, then from there we select the linuxcnc subdirectory
"-r" for "recursive", ie iterate through everything in the directory.
"/media/usbdrive" should be whatever mount-point you chose to mount the USB.

More
14 Jun 2021 15:18 #212029 by Mr. Mass
Thank you all for your help, i really appreciate to yours advices.
First I started to deal with this X server, researched this question a little, found logs, even understood what exactly was the matter. The issue was in one file "xinput calibrator", i commented out problem line and the system is working again. But my happiness was not long, i got multiple issues with "joint following error". I do not know if these problems were somehow related.
After a many days of struggling with this issues i decided completely replace the computer to another one, install the fresh system and copy backup.
So, only now I finally got a working system again. I'm still want to setup touchscreen, install the required programs for "xcalibrate", but still no luck.

More
14 Jun 2021 15:47 - 15 Jun 2021 00:43 #212033 by BeagleBrainz
Ok the issue is you need to set the execute permission bit for xcalibrate.
chmod +x xcalibrate

Or you can right click on the file in your file manager and navigate thru the menus. Sorry I rarely use the file manager for stuff like that. I use the terminal.

Anyways glad you found your issue, X can be a bit of a PITA to diagnose. You on your way to being a Linux master, you have the right attitude.

Hmmm that is funny I just cloned the repo and xcalibrate had the permissions set to execute.

Ok I see what happened, you downloaded the zip file rather than cloning the repo.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2021 00:43 by BeagleBrainz.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds