which linux OS

More
08 Dec 2021 02:42 #228588 by tater1337
which linux OS was created by tater1337
we have two machines with linuxCNC that have older OS'es

debain wheezy, that gets 404 errors when you try to update

and ubuntu 10.04 that the update manager pops up an error that cannot go away

linuxCNC of 2.5 and 2.7, so they should get updated too, but lets crawl before we can run

older PC,s most likely with spinning rust, but we got some small SSDs that we could update them to to increase speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2021 03:00 #228589 by RobC
Replied by RobC on topic which linux OS
I run an older Dell w/core2duo @ 3ghz with a small SSD and it's been great with one exception. With the radeon video drivers the latency was pretty high (50k-60k range) and without the drivers the latency is sub 10k. The only resolution I have available to me is 1400x1050 (4:3) on a 27" widescreen monitor. Other than that, pretty perfect. No issues with the OS or linuxcnc. The computer boots in what I would guess to be about 10 seconds.

Debian 10 w/ a parallel port, not mesa - linuxcnc 2.8.2 w/ 4.19.195-rtai-amd64 kernel.

If you use mesa cards your installs would be different than mine as you would be going with the preempt version.

More
08 Dec 2021 12:23 #228618 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic which linux OS
Swap the old harddrives with your ssds and try the official install from a USB drive:

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.2-buster.iso

more information can be found here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html

More
08 Dec 2021 22:02 #228657 by tater1337
Replied by tater1337 on topic which linux OS

Swap the old harddrives with your ssds and try the official install from a USB drive:

got the iso and tested on my laptop to make sure live option works

can we ADD an SSD and have it install to that so we can copy config files from one drive to another? or should we swap, install, then reconnect old drive for copy tasks? hard to tell unless we get all the parts together to see, and don't want to overwrite without breaking something

is it easy to copy a whole drive onto a USB disk for backup? I have some old windows drives and USB enclosures. they need to be formatted to work with linux?

More
08 Dec 2021 22:21 #228659 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic which linux OS

or should we swap, install, then reconnect old drive for copy tasks?

Yes

is it easy to copy a whole drive onto a USB disk for backup?

Takes ages.

I have some old windows drives and USB enclosures. they need to be formatted to work with linux?

No need to format, Linux works with all known filesystems.

More
11 Dec 2021 17:48 #228882 by tater1337

Takes ages.

it's only an 80gb drive, so going to back it up anyway. seems a waste for my 500gb USB drive, but I got all day at the space and can start that and get it running, go to the 3d printer and print alignment fence parts for the laser cutter, then go to the wood shop and sort out all the junk wood from stuff usable
or got to the "I am lost" shelves and take all the tools, parts, and raw materials and sort through those
or play with the laser cutter, we just upgrade the PC from a 2011 machine to a 2012 with a SSD and an up-to-date lasercad that fixed some bugs we used to work around, to see if there are new bugs

More
11 Dec 2021 22:27 #228892 by tater1337

Takes ages.

it's only an 80gb drive, so going to back it up anyway. seems a waste for my 500gb USB drive, but I got all day at the space and can start that and get it running, go to the 3d printer and print alignment fence parts for the laser cutter, then go to the wood shop and sort out all the junk wood from stuff usable
or got to the "I am lost" shelves and take all the tools, parts, and raw materials and sort through those
or play with the laser cutter, we just upgrade the PC from a 2011 machine to a 2012 with a SSD and an up-to-date lasercad that fixed some bugs we used to work around, to see if there are new bugs

completely disregard, this wheezy is so old that it cannot mount USB drives

More
11 Dec 2021 22:37 #228893 by tater1337

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.2-buster.iso

more information can be found here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html

not working

live works
live failsafe works
both install and graphic install crap out looking for a cd to mount
installing from a usb
onto an donor ssd drive with windows that i would like to be overwritten
on a machine that does not have a cd drive

side rant(not anyone's fault)
why does linux install instruction seem to assume that everything will work if you follow the step by steps, even when you can see that the instruction were updated, but apparently not tested

from link above
The LinuxCNC Live/Install ISO Image is a hybrid ISO image which can be written directly to a USB storage device (flash drive) or a DVD and used to boot a computer. The image is too large to fit on a CD.

The image is too large to fit on a CD.

sounds like no one assumed that it would need to be tested on something besides a cd (which it doesn't fit on?)

and why does this text editor not spell check!

More
11 Dec 2021 22:52 #228895 by tater1337

side rant(not anyone's fault)

and yeah, I honestly cannot blame linuxCNC or even debian for this, every time I need to install linux, whether on a Pi, or an obsolete netbook that I am trying to give a 2nd life, the install experience has been nothing but hair pulling, and trying to find solutions in 5+year old posts of similar problems without solutions shown

windows installations I am pleasantly surprised, expecting it to have more hiccups on some of the esoteric hardware and it just installs without issue

More
11 Dec 2021 22:52 #228896 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic which linux OS
Wheezy can not mount extfs, but can mount everything else from fat16 to ext4.
Try a different usb, to be sure it will work something older than 4 years, or thereabouts.
-
installation issues
when it says it can not mount a cd/usb, yank out the usb, wait 10 seconds, insert it again, wait 10 seconds, click next or retry.
usually that works, like 99% of the time.
-
not Linux faults, mostly MS/Intel faults, and motherboard manufacturers submitting to their demands.
-
use win32diskimager to write the image to usb
-
if everything above fails, keep in mind Linux does not care much on what computer it was installed, so get another pc, install on it, move the HDD/SDD to the machine PC.
Just in case of using a new PC to install the drives, disable UEFI and secure boot in BIOS, install stuff, enable UEFI and secure boot.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds