Suitability of Adlink DPAC Industrial PC

More
21 Sep 2022 04:43 #252461 by Skippy1
Hi guys,

I've just been given a cute little fanless industrial PC, and I'm trying to decide if it is suitable for a CNC project my brother is starting. 

It's an ADlink DPAC-3000 - it has a single N270 Atom processor, 1Gb memory, and a 4Gb CD flash card. It has an interesting array of ports, including: 4 network, (two of which are labeled Motionet and HSL); two serial; a Firewire, (which is labeled as GPIO); VGA port, two USB; and an older style keyboard port. Regrettably, it does not have a parallel port, or any PCI/PCIe slots. (See attached datasheet for more information.)

I've loaded LinuxCNC Wheezy 2.7, ran the HAL Latency test, and got some respectable Base Thread jitter values of 20,000 us. However, without the parallel port, this seems pretty much seems irrelevant.  So, the question is, would this be suitable for Linuxcnc with one of the Mesa ethernet interface cards like the 7i76E?  And can you think of any other options that would allow me to use this PC?

Cheers, Steve.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2022 09:25 #252558 by rodw
Mesa ethernet cards require the PREEMPT_RT kernel. From memory 2.7 does not include that. Try the 2.8 ISO and see how you go with latency before you consider buying a mesa card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skippy1

More
21 Oct 2022 12:45 #254672 by andypugh
"Motionnet" sounds rather interesting.

I haven't managed to find much detail on the protocol. So writing a LinuxCNC driver for those ports might be a challenge.

If the others are conventional Ethernet then that is probably easier, though it seems a shame.

More
21 Oct 2022 12:48 #254673 by andypugh

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds