• JT
  • JT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Dec 2022 16:07 #259647 by JT
Gentoo. was created by JT
Well I thought I'd take a quick look at Gentoo this morning and downloaded the livecd then burned it to a usb stick with dd. Put the stick in and booted to it but nothing happened... so I shut down and removed the usb stick and rebooted only to get this
You are in emergency mode...
Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2022 17:28 #259658 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Gentoo.
What was in the PC?
-
Might not be related, but back in the Ubuntu 10.04 days, if you boot from a Live USB it would find partitions on the drive and mount those as live. Never caused issues though, but still mounting partitions on the internal drive while in Live mode should never occur.
Apparently it stil does.

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Dec 2022 22:18 #259679 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Gentoo.
It was Debian 12 on the M.2 drive... I'll reinstall it no big deal it normally is the chicken monitor and chicken alarm.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Dec 2022 03:29 - 20 Dec 2022 03:31 #259923 by NTULINUX
Replied by NTULINUX on topic Gentoo.
I can't help without any details but Gentoo is really made to be installed from a stage3 tarball (a bare minimum Linux system that doesn't even have X yet) you build your custom kernel, install all your packages, configure your USE flags and go from there.

Installing LinuxCNC on Gentoo with a PREEMPT_RT from scratch is not a trivial task. I'll be working on the PREEMPT_RT kernel soon but as of this writing, the latest PREEMPT_RT kernel is based on 6.1-rc7.

I've been watching this tree closely and waiting for the next release, hasn't been touched in 3 weeks:

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-rt-devel.git/

My portage tree for the Gentoo LinuxCNC image is here:

github.com/NTULINUX/gentoo_backup/tree/linuxcnc

and I've had to make some custom packages not only for LinuxCNC but for some of it's dependencies too:

github.com/NTULINUX/ntu_overlay

By the time this is all done, full installation instructions will be thoroughly documented, an installer I wrote from scratch will be published, and once the image is installed, it will be as easy as:
emerge linuxcnc

Log out, and log back in so the environmental variables take effect (Tcl lib stuff)

Gentoo can be very difficult from the beginning, has a learning curve, but I'm making all of this incredibly simple and as point-and-click as possible.

The installer btw will be interactive and a Bash script. I'll be testing on several different medias and hardware to make sure it all works.

Due to licensing restrictions, I can't actually put LinuxCNC on the image itself, but one command is pretty simple!

Please see my post here, first page, all the way at the bottom:

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...hich-are-out?start=0
Last edit: 20 Dec 2022 03:31 by NTULINUX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
20 Dec 2022 04:03 - 20 Dec 2022 04:05 #259929 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gentoo.
If it helps, I have custom compiled 6.1 PREEMPT_RT kernel and headers from the kernel.org pristine source here:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/10uwGg5Rv...LtQ8BZhM3At_gODk16na
kernel-deb.txt in the same folder should be able to be converted to a fully scripted solution.
Currently we open xconfig to select the Fully Preemptible Kernel but I think it can be done with /scripts/config --enable as is done for the other security settings that bypass the security model.

EDIT: You will need to follow the script and change the command so you install the kernel, not just build a deb as I have done for debian.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2022 04:05 by rodw.

More
20 Dec 2022 04:26 - 20 Dec 2022 04:35 #259933 by NTULINUX

If it helps, I have custom compiled 6.1 PREEMPT_RT kernel and headers from the kernel.org pristine source here:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/10uwGg5Rv...LtQ8BZhM3At_gODk16na
kernel-deb.txt in the same folder should be able to be converted to a fully scripted solution.
Currently we open xconfig to select the Fully Preemptible Kernel but I think it can be done with /scripts/config --enable as is done for the other security settings that bypass the security model.

EDIT: You will need to follow the script and change the command so you install the kernel, not just build a deb as I have done for debian.

Thank you, I'm just waiting for the next PREEMPT_RT kernel release. I still have to test the image with actual CNC hardware. Do you use a camera with LinuxCNC by any chance for camview, and if so, can you post your `lsmod` with it connected? A lot of cameras are UVC now, just want to make sure before pushing everything out there and make any changes if necessary. I've been building custom kernels since 06' and I'll be using LTO with Clang+LLD for the kernel as well. Module signing and all that security stuff won't be an issue. I'm pulling a lot of that out anyway for better performance. Intel CPUs should be absolutely SCREAMING fast in comparison to other distros with the kernel I'm making lol. A lot of the Spectre/Meltdown mitigation hits those CPUs hard.

Also, to make sure your system is new enough, this goes for anyone interested in the Gentoo image I'm working on, please run:

git clone --single-branch -b linuxcnc https://github.com/NTULINUX/gentoo_backup.git gentoo_linuxcnc
cd gentoo_linuxcnc
./verify_psabi.sh

This covers CPUs starting from Intel Nahelem (2008, first generation Core i5/i7) and AMD Bulldozer (2011.)

Intel Core 2 Duo and AMD K10 processors such as Phenom/Phenom II will not work.

x86-64-v2 is now required for RHEL 9 and openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release) and as this is a brand new image, I figured I'd keep up with the trend.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2022 04:35 by NTULINUX. Reason: added info, fixes

More
20 Dec 2022 04:46 #259937 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gentoo.
I can't help with cameras.

I looked at versions of the kernel and the rt patch and tried to keep them the same. But the kernel 6.1 is now final  so I figured the RT RC7 should be fine.. No issues so far.

More
20 Dec 2022 05:00 - 21 Dec 2022 05:29 #259938 by NTULINUX
I'm sure it's great! I just don't want to push this out with a release candidate kernel lol.

edit: I'm working on the Gentoo image installer right now:

github.com/NTULINUX/gentoo_backup/blob/linuxcnc/installer.sh

Debian does an absolutely terrible job at partitioning devices, so the only way for me to make sure this gets put on right using the script is to have _IT_ handle all partitioning and formatting for you. If people want to create a new partition themselves and drop the tarball on it, I will be writing documentation for that. I've seen Debian make extra, unused partitions, make extended partitions for no reason, all kinds of weird stuff, and even leave free space between partitions and I've seen the partition numbering out of sequential order or something like that.. I've never actually seen Debian partition a drive properly, even when doing manual mode.. It still does it's own thing.

In short, if you use the script, it will just use the whole drive, absolutely destroy Debian, and it _will_ just work, following a proper partitioning scheme.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2022 05:29 by NTULINUX. Reason: added installer progress, added notes on whole disk
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

• JT
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Dec 2022 20:55 #260166 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Gentoo.
Is there a step by step somewhere to install Gentoo?

JT

More
23 Dec 2022 21:47 #260175 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Gentoo.
Oh what a mess ! :)
Two topic with the same title, could not find the first one as it was opening the second one, so i add a dot at the end of title and it merged both into one thread with the same title !
Oh joy!.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds