Is this a good candidate for linuxcnc

More
22 Oct 2023 19:51 #283530 by spesmek
www.iwill.no/en/iwill-ecolan-i5-comet-la...-x-lan-viftel-s-mpoe 
What do you think. Can this be good for linuxcnc or do you se any red flags before i order one to try?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2023 23:02 - 22 Oct 2023 23:06 #283543 by JPL
I see two:

#1: Way too expensive. You can probably buy a used 3rd gen Intel PC that will perfectly run Linuxcnc  for about 1/10th of the price.

#2: This is a server PC. There's no display output and you will need another PC on the same network to access it. Then installing linuxcnc on the remote PC will negate any benefit of using this server PC ... Installing Linuxcnc on this while having a remote display _may_ be doable but is certainly unconventional and you will for sure run into many problems.

If you like this format I would strongly suggest to buy a fanless PC instead. This is going to be about 1/3 of the price for a good one (brand new).
Last edit: 22 Oct 2023 23:06 by JPL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spesmek, tommylight

More
23 Oct 2023 09:44 #283586 by spesmek
Sorry I was probably a bit unclear, I was wondering if you saw anything that could prevent good latency. we are working on developing a machine that uses laser 3d scanning and generates g code in a separate program we have created, which is sent to linuxcnc which is run without a display. and all interaction is via a web user interface on another PC. I agree that the price is quite high, but we are thinking of producing several of these machines for sale, so a used PC is out of the question, we need a minimum of 3 NICs for communication with the laser scanner, mesa 7i76e and network. and we would like a PC that will be available for sale in 2 years or more (I know, hard to predict) and it must also have good support for linux. this one, which is intended for servers/firewalls, is probably stable and has good support for Linux-based software. Has anyone here tested latency on something like this, or perhaps have suggestions for something, preferably fanless, that could be good for such a project, or perhaps have a list of hardware that should be avoided?

More
23 Oct 2023 18:01 - 23 Oct 2023 18:15 #283624 by JPL
I would suggest to have a look at those links before making a decision:

browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-celeron-3865u
browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/prod...-cache-1-80-ghz.html

The first two to have an idea of the relative performance of this CPU (or any other): As you can see it is relatively low. So low that I'm pretty sure you will have to test it yourself to be sure that this will work for your application. Other components and design can also affect the performance. I also doubt anyone used this specific server before, making this very hard to confirm if the latency will be acceptable or not.

I also doubt that it will be "available for sale in 2 years or more". The 3rd link reveal that the 3865U CPU is now 6 years old and already discontinued by Intel too...

Sadly, I don't think anyone here will be able to confirm that this will work for LinuxCnc given the specific design you want to use.

Last edit: 23 Oct 2023 18:15 by JPL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spesmek

More
24 Oct 2023 10:45 #283688 by rodw
Maybe something like this? I can't endorse it though.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004302428997.html
This has intel NIC's which is a decided advantage re network latency.
You may also find one in i3 or i5
But Celeron woth 4 gb ram is sufficient for linuxcnc when correctly configured.
Sometimes this means an updated kernel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spesmek

More
31 Oct 2023 23:31 #284229 by royka
@JPL It looks like an HDMI and DP connector to me on the front.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds