frozen screen with linuxcnc 2.9.1 y kernel RTAI 5.4.258

More
20 Dec 2023 22:18 - 21 Dec 2023 22:41 #288710 by Ismacr63
Hello. I come from this thread:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...an-6?start=20#288708

The fact is that I thought I had a problem with the installation of linuxcnc 2.9.1 and kernel rtai 5.4.258.

The installation is fine since I have put the SSD disk on another motherboard and it works correctly.

The problem is that when I start the latency test or linuxcnc itself, the screen freezes and I have to restart the PC. I have played with all the bios options and the problem continues. I have also tried an Nvidia and another Radeon graphics card and the problem still exists.

with linuxcnc Preempt-RT kernel it works perfectly, but I need rtai because I use a parallel port.

The motherboard is gigabyte h110m ds2 with 16gb ram i3 6100 processor
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 22:41 by Ismacr63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2023 22:43 #288712 by tommylight
Should have posted on the link i posted there, not start a new topic.
As it is a RTAI kernel issue with only some specific hardware, it is very difficult to help with it or to point in any direction.
This is not a LinuxCNC issue (LinuxCNC does not use RTAI kernel anymore, it is provided by some members here to help with older hardware as there are still plenty PC's with parallel port in use), nor is this a Debian issue so searching on Debian forums might help, but chances are low. Then again, might be worth a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
20 Dec 2023 22:52 #288714 by Ismacr63

As it is a RTAI kernel issue with only some specific hardware, it is very difficult to help with it or to point in any direction.
This is not a LinuxCNC issue (LinuxCNC does not use RTAI kernel anymore, it is provided by some members here to help with older hardware as there are still plenty PC's with parallel port in use), nor is this a Debian issue so searching on Debian forums might help, but chances are low. Then again, might be worth a try.

sorry, you're right. I delete it and write in the thread that he told me.

thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Dec 2023 15:34 #288920 by Ismacr63

I have managed to get the latency test to run, but when I try to start linuxcnc an error appears.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
23 Dec 2023 15:51 - 23 Dec 2023 15:54 #288922 by tommylight
Segmentation fault, usually due to failing memory modules or memory controller (not always).
Do you have other memory to test with?
Or, if there are more than one module, remove all and insert one at a time and test.
Edit:
Sometimes, failing power supply can also cause seg faults.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 15:54 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
23 Dec 2023 19:09 #288936 by Ismacr63

Segmentation fault, usually due to failing memory modules or memory controller (not always).
Do you have other memory to test with?
Or, if there are more than one module, remove all and insert one at a time and test.
Edit:
Sometimes, failing power supply can also cause seg faults.

The memories are new, literally a month old. There are 2 modules of 8GB DDR4 each. Even so, I have checked them and they are fine, I have also tried with a single ram module.
To make the latency test work I have flashed an older bios, I have been updating the bios until I reach one that starts to freeze the system when starting anything related to linuxcnc. I have to say that it only happens with the rtai kernel. I get that error message, although sometimes Linux starts without any error.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds