Axis 2.9.0~pre: jogging moves the tool cone, but not the steppers

More
06 Sep 2022 15:35 - 06 Sep 2022 15:37 #251306 by Dr. John
First, let me thank the folks who monitor this forum and give so much help. I’ve found you guys to be really responsive. I wish I didn’t have to use it so much though. 

Although keyboard jogging is (somewhat) frowned upon, it has been my only method of homing my axes and doing touch-offs for years with my 5i25 I/O card. Sometimes it is a bit touchy, but if you’re expecting it, you can work around it. I’ve been forced to upgrade to new computer and the 7i96s I/O card. And, amid the various problems I’m having to overcome, here’s yet another one: I can’t make axis move the stages of my mill although the screen shows the tool cone moving.

I configure my system with pncconf and during the testing of the 3 axes, each axis works as I expect. I expect the same run running axis, but no joy. 

Not only does keyboard jogging not work, but using the + and – buttons doesn’t work either. That is, in both cases, the tool cone moves as expected, but physically nothing is happening. 

The output enable to the stepper motor drivers is working as you would expect. However, there are no pulses coming out of the 7i96s card to drive the motor drivers. 

Is this a bug or a configuration problem induced by me? 

Thanks for your help. 

Last edit: 06 Sep 2022 15:37 by Dr. John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2022 16:08 #251314 by PCW
Is the system homed before you jog?

More
06 Sep 2022 16:09 #251315 by tommylight
Who said keyboard jogging is frowned upon ? I use it all the time! :)
Try inverting the enable pin, most new drives will disable when active high.

More
06 Sep 2022 16:13 #251317 by PCW
Yes, the "enable" input is a "disable" signal

More
06 Sep 2022 16:15 #251318 by Dr. John
Thanks, but no.

I repeat: the enable pin is functioning correctly. The LED's that show when the stepper drivers are enabled turn on when enabled, and they do turn on when axis is told to enable the drivers. But, nothing else happens, even when the tool cone is moving.

The electrical configuration is working withe axis test software in pncconf. So, it seems to be a configuration issue somewhere (he says...).

More
06 Sep 2022 16:24 #251319 by PCW
Is the system homed before you jog?

This is important and if your previous 5I25 system used
LinuxCNC 2.7 or earlier, jogging behavior has changed
with 2.8 and later because of the joints/axis separation.

More
06 Sep 2022 16:27 - 06 Sep 2022 16:28 #251320 by Dr. John
Well, that is an interesting question. For the moment, I am homing the system manually. This means that I want to jog the stages into place before I home them. It sounds like a chicken and egg problem.

However, even if I do home the axes manually, the behavior is the same.

I note that I've configured the system to request manual homing before allowing me to run a program, but it doesn't seem to want to do that either.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2022 16:28 by Dr. John.

More
06 Sep 2022 16:32 #251321 by PCW
Did you home all the axis in the GUI?

More
06 Sep 2022 16:35 #251323 by Dr. John
Yes. It should be noted that I still need to be able to jog before homing, but, I ran the test without doing so.

More
06 Sep 2022 16:53 #251325 by PCW
Can you post your current hal/ini files?

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds