Estop

More
15 Oct 2021 09:57 #223185 by 2e0poz
Estop was created by 2e0poz
Hi guys don't have my machine connected to the net so can't upload my config files. Using ver-2.8.2

I have my estop connected to pin 15. HAL meter shows the pin working but it does not shut anything off. Soft estop works as should. I have changed nothing from the the original stepconf config. Pins are not inverted and I'm not using enable or charge pump for my machine to work. Appropriate lines exist in the hal. Any ideas please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2021 10:05 #223189 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Estop

More
15 Oct 2021 10:28 - 15 Oct 2021 10:50 #223190 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Estop
That thread is from 2012.  I'm not sure all of that is necessary anymore.  

As a working example from a recently created config, here are the estop lines from my .hal file:

# --- ESTOP-EXT ---
net estop-ext     <=  hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.input-00

#  ---estop signals---

net estop-out     <=  iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext     =>  iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

You should have something similar, I think that's the best I can do to help without seeing the config.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2021 10:50 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

More
15 Oct 2021 11:07 #223194 by 2e0poz
Replied by 2e0poz on topic Estop
Thanks for that, apart from yours is a Mesa card mines no different.

More
15 Oct 2021 12:41 #223197 by snowgoer540
Ok so just to make sure, estop not tripped = pin 15 active.  estop tripped = pin 15 not active?  What GUI are you using?

I'd say the next prudent step would be zipping up your config folder and dropping it onto a thumb drive so you can upload it here.  

More
15 Oct 2021 17:08 #223214 by rodw

That thread is from 2012.  I'm not sure all of that is necessary anymore.  

Its still as relevant in 2021 as it was in 2012 as it allows the use of both the on screen and external estop using estop-latch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
15 Oct 2021 17:26 #223216 by snowgoer540
Axis must do it by default as I don't recall having to do any latching when I was stuck with dealing with the GUI estop for Axis.  But admittedly, Axis and QtPlasmaC are the screens I have the most experience with.  Well and Pathpilot, but that's a whole other thing lol.  Thankfully I've the option to not use the GUI Estop with QtPlasmaC.

More
15 Oct 2021 18:42 #223217 by rodw
Honestly, its so long ago since I set up my machine, I can't remember but I thought it was required. estop-latch is very useful where you have multiple etops or guard interlocks etc as it can chain them together in Hal. And also for sending a reset signal to a safety relay if you use one. But thats another whole other thing too!

Does pathpilot require pressing an estop button in the GUI?
I still use the screen based button and external estops with qtplasmac.
I did ask an engineer how fanuc and other commercial controllers enabled a machine and he said they always required a GUI control to be pressed so I kept the functionality. My pressbrake doesn't but you do have to turn a switch on to restart the machine if you do press estop. 

More
15 Oct 2021 23:51 #223258 by snowgoer540

Does pathpilot require pressing an estop button in the GUI?

They have a "RESET" button, which will do nothing until you un-trip the Estop and press the green button to latch the relay and power on the controller. Once you do that, you can click RESET, and the GUI will control the machine. Pressing RESET again has no effect. The only way to estop the machine is by pressing the physical e-stop. If one estopped the machine they would have to repeat the process to bring it out and re-home, etc.

So technically their RESET button is neither an estop nor the power button we are all used to.

I still use the screen based button and external estops with qtplasmac.

I know a lot of people like them, but a software estop is a bad idea (IMHO). The "muscle memory" should be to hit the estop button and it should be wired to stop the machine movement immediately. But I know a lot of people like the software GUI Estop, so to each their own I suppose.

I did ask an engineer how fanuc and other commercial controllers enabled a machine and he said they always required a GUI control to be pressed so I kept the functionality.

Sounds similar to tormach honestly. It wouldnt surprise me if they borrowed stuff from fanuc.

More
16 Oct 2021 03:45 #223273 by rodw
Sounds like Tormach is using  a safety relay in conjunction with estop-latch in hal.
Thats the behaviour I get with a safety relay. I had decided I needed a green button like yours to avoid powering off the machine to allow it to be restarted.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds