stepper driven turret with index and home switch

More
25 Feb 2024 14:30 #294367 by PaulQUE
HI folks,

I am currently retrofitting an emco pc turn 50 lathe, it was missing it's electronics ( including the turret board). So far I have the axis, spindle control and feedback figured out. A few years back I configured a pc 5 turret but it had no position feedback or homing. 
My turret setup is comprised of the original "cheese wheel" with the two sensors, and a newly added stepper to drive the turret, the turret needs to move back to switch position and then run in reverse to lock against the ratchet. It has 6 positions. 

It seems to me that the carroussel comp should be able to drive it, though I've been warned by another user that the double trigger on the locking move could be an issue. 

I am unsure of how to link the carroussel comp into my hal file to the tool change routine, as well as how to setup the separate stepgen for the turret, and lastly, as I am already using the encoder pins of the mesa 7i96s for the spindle feedback, can. I use regular input pins to read the position? (case 'I" in the component I assume ).

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:14 #294380 by PCW
Not quite sure what you mean by read position.
Did you want to read a low resolution quadrature encoder on the tool changer?
If so this is possible using regular inputs and the software encoder component.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:18 - 25 Feb 2024 15:18 #294382 by PaulQUE
Sorry for being unclear, it's just a disc with tab that runs trough a light sensor to tell the controller that it has reached a tool position, it's the same signal for each position but it has a separate light sensor for the home position, see picture attached

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Feb 2024 15:18 by PaulQUE.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:25 #294385 by PCW
That's countable with the software encoder counter component
(provided it only goes one way since its not quadrature)

More
25 Feb 2024 16:18 #294392 by PaulQUE
thanks, and how would I integrate it into the carroussel comp?

More
25 Feb 2024 16:37 #294396 by andypugh

It seems to me that the carroussel comp should be able to drive it, though I've been warned by another user that the double trigger on the locking move could be an issue. 

Yes, I think it should work with the carousel comp. 

As a starting point connect iocontrol.0.tool-change to carousel.enable, ...tool-changed to carousel.ready and ...pocket-number to the carousel pocket number pin. 
And see what happens....

More
25 Feb 2024 16:39 #294397 by andypugh
There is also:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...oolchanger_component

I am not sure if it works better than the carousel .comp. Carousel was written with Emco style changers in mind.

More
25 Feb 2024 17:21 #294408 by PaulQUE
thank you very much , I'll try that out and start from here

More
25 Feb 2024 21:32 #294448 by PaulQUE
so, I've added a third stepgen and compiled carousel.comp, and connected the suggested pins. I'm unsure how to get the carousel to output the signals to the step gens, and which pins to use (carousel motor fwd? jog fwd), as well as how to get the index and position input from the mesa board to the index of the carousel, I've attached my hal file, thanks for the help
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2024 23:30 - 25 Feb 2024 23:32 #294464 by PCW
One connection would be this:

net atc_velocity carousel.0.motor-vel  hm2_7i96s.0.stepgen.02.velocity-cmd

Also not sure if ther'es an appropriate enable signal for the ATC stepgen enable,
but for testing:

setp hm2_7i96s.0.stepgen.02.enable true
Last edit: 25 Feb 2024 23:32 by PCW.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds