Encoder Count Rate

More
19 Sep 2016 20:55 #80633 by squan09
Encoder Count Rate was created by squan09
I am considering the Mesa 5I25 for a setup and would like to control both stepper and servo motors. It looks like I can attached a 7I77 and 7I76 with the correct firmware and this should do the job. Can anyone confirm that this is the case and it should be pretty straight forward?

I was also wondering how fast can the Mesa cards count encoder pulses. Will the cards ever be the limiting factor or will it generally be the computer that limits my ability to count encoder pulses? Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2016 21:18 #80638 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Encoder Count Rate
The cards will be the limiting factor, (but not very limiting). The 7i77 can count encoder pules to 2MHZ (or more if without filtering), and the 7i76 can step at up to 8 MHz. Both faster than is usually needed.

More
19 Sep 2016 21:32 #80641 by squan09
Replied by squan09 on topic Encoder Count Rate
Thanks for the info. The encoder documentation says that, "The limit is in the range of 10KHz to 50KHz, depending on the computer speed and other factors." Wouldn't that make the computer the limiting factor?

More
20 Sep 2016 01:06 #80646 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Encoder Count Rate

Thanks for the info. The encoder documentation says that, "The limit is in the range of 10KHz to 50KHz, depending on the computer speed and other factors." Wouldn't that make the computer the limiting factor?

This is for SOFTWARE encoder counters, not hardware. You must be looking at docs for the software encoder counter HAL component.

More
20 Sep 2016 03:19 #80651 by Todd Zuercher
When you are using a hardware encoder counter, the computer's speed is irreverent. The hardware counts the encoder pulses, keeps record of the position and reports it every servo thread period.

More
20 Sep 2016 03:34 #80652 by squan09
That makes sense. I did not realize that the 7I77 is counting and reporting position. I need to set up an sample configuration and take a closer look, but I assume that means encoder.N.phase are not used and encoder.N.position or counts reads the position count from the card. Does that sound about right?

More
20 Sep 2016 12:19 #80665 by Todd Zuercher
You don't use the hal encoder component at all. The hardware driver (hal component) will have a position feedback that is connected directly to the axis.N.position-fb.

More
20 Sep 2016 18:59 #80684 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Encoder Count Rate

That makes sense. I did not realize that the 7I77 is counting and reporting position

Actually, the 5i25 counts the encoder pulses and generates the steps. Not that it matters, except it explains the HAL pin names.

I assume that means encoder.N.phase are not used and encoder.N.position or counts reads the position count from the card. Does that sound about right?

Close. Rather than using a software encoder and consuming the data from the encoder.N.position pin you instead use the hm2_5i25.0.encoder.N.position pin.

There are a few other pins all useful, but you will note that there are no pins for the A, B and Z phases. That all happens in hardware.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#encoder

More
21 Sep 2016 01:20 #80700 by squan09
Thanks for the hostmot link. This is the first time I am working with a Mesa board, but I think I am starting to get this. If the 5i25 is counting the encoder is it possible to set up a 5i25 and 7i76 with steppers and encoders. I saw that the 7i76 has encoder input for a spindle, but is it possible to close the loop with stepper and encoders using these boards?

More
21 Sep 2016 14:39 #80718 by Todd Zuercher
Yes, you could by either adding another card that can read encoders (such as a 7i85), or maybe by connecting the encoders directly to the other 5i25 port, but that would be limited to a TTL connection (no differential input) and I'm not sure what firmware is available for what number encoders.

If you wan steppers with encoder feedback you might be better off skipping the 7i76 and using a 7i85S and a smart serial card for extra IO.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds