Questions on THCad2

More
11 Apr 2024 23:19 #298034 by FlaredFins
I have searched with not much luck on info for the THCad2 (lots of info on the others) I'm curious on a few points that I've come across. When using the THCad2 for ohmic sense I've seen a separate power supply should be used, yet I've seen power being pulled directly from the 7i96s from the encoder pins.  What would the recommended setup for that be? And are there certain pin configurations the THCad2 should be set for,  as well as the pins for the encoder on the 7i96s? Also for using the THCad2 for height control I will be using Hypertherm 65 with 50:1 divider. I saw on a diagram a HV resistor is used but that was for 1:1 I believe. Will I need something in place of that running 50:1? And Does the THCad2 need to be mounted by the plasma or can it be located in the main control panel as I've seen conflicting ideas for that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2024 00:04 #298036 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Questions on THCad2
In either use case I would power the THCAD 5V from the 7I96
(Ohmic sensing with a THCAD requires a separate ISOLATED
24V supply)

If you have a 50:1 divider the THCAD needs no external resistors
Setting it to the 5V range gives you a 250V full scale plasma voltage
which is fine.

Mounting the THCAD in the plasma source is probably better noise wise.
In this case, I would use shielded  twisted pair and make sure that the
shield is grounded to the 7I96 GND and not anywhere  at the plasma
source end.

More
12 Apr 2024 06:27 #298045 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Questions on THCad2
the low voltage side of the thcad connects to the encoder input. The high voltage is either the ohmic power supply or the plasma cutter depending on application

More
12 Apr 2024 09:33 #298050 by FlaredFins
Replied by FlaredFins on topic Questions on THCad2
I hate feeling ignorant here but where does the 24v power get applied? I'm guessing this is the High Voltage side and is the voltage used for the sense but just want to be certain.
I built this circuit years ago for Mach 4 using two 12v relays and thought it was just a grounding situation where the nozzle touches the metal it completes the circuit and sends the signal.

More
12 Apr 2024 11:03 #298056 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Questions on THCad2
Does the machine have a floating head with switch?
Use that, skip ohmic for now, make the machine works properly first without it.
I never use ohmic probing, floating head only. To much trouble for not much gain, and my machines are used by clients, so as simple as possible for daily use.
Rod and others have made huge improvements to ohmic probing as it was useless before due to water ingress inside the torch, so i am thinking of adding it to one of my machines for quite some time, just need time.

More
12 Apr 2024 11:28 #298062 by FlaredFins
Yes It has floating head. I used to have ohmic using two relays and it seemed to run ok with some intermittent issues. Somehow the retaining cap split at the threads and caused it to signal constantly.
I have a lot to still learn between hardware and linuxcnc so I might wire it in but leave it unused. This will make the 4th panel I have built previous boards were for Mach4 ESS/MB3.
Im hoping to have this panel finished out today, but thats what ive been saying for over a week
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Apr 2024 21:03 #298126 by rodw
There is a diagram in the Plasma Primer document.
Its not wise to apply 24 volts to the 5 volt logic side. It will be costly!

More
12 Apr 2024 21:14 #298129 by FlaredFins
Yes Saw it shortly after my post this morning. Ive got it wired up just dont have the 24v going to it yet. I do have a few questions concerning the Ohmic Hypersensing post. How much of that still applies to the THCad2. I thought I read its the same card only difference is in which position W1 is in.
Also in the 7i96s does W1, W2, W3 need to be changed for height sensing and OHMIC?
Most of my build is finished so Ill be moving into the software to install some of the files I downloaded the other day and try to get it all configured.

Oh! almost forgot a link from here is the THCAD Calibration Setting Calculator For PlasmaC. it only list 10 and 300 to get the correct numbers will it still work for the THCad2?

More
12 Apr 2024 21:18 #298131 by rodw
Forget calculators. We let hal do the calculations.
I've attached a later version with a seperate hal file you can add to your ini.
This requires an additional resisotor if on a water table. I can't share that as I don't have access to Google Drive from here.
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2024 21:20 #298132 by rodw
Set the thcad2 to use a 5 volt range and it is all still applicable.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds