using cut 3d to make prototype parts

More
08 Nov 2013 14:30 #40659 by twitchingmuffin
I am new to cnc and I am using cut3d to make prototype parts designed in inventor. I am saving them as an .stl file and so far have had no problems with the cut 3d program. however when I started trying parts using a 1/4 end mill it would double over part and remove material that was supposed to stay. I figured out typing in T2 in the midi and got it to offset an 1/8 of an inch and worked no problem. I am trying to cut a part now that the rough cut is 1/4" and the final cut is 1/8" because of the detail needed. the rough cut works great but I cannot get the final cut to go without switching between which side of path it is offset when it goes at 45 angle one direction its on one side of path then when it turns back it switchs to the other side is there a way to stop this from happening. ANY help would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2013 20:43 #40668 by andypugh
This sounds like a Cut3D problem, do they have a forum you can ask on?

More
08 Nov 2013 21:32 #40671 by twitchingmuffin
I will see if I can figure something out - the reason I was thinking that it wasn't cut 3d is they have a preview file that shows a simulation of the rough cut and the final cut and they both work well. Before I changed setting on linuxcnc it was doing the same thing on the rough cut it would double over the part when I changed the tooling offset it fixed it for 1/4" bit but its not working for 1/8" bit that's why im thinking its in the cnc side of it

More
09 Nov 2013 00:06 - 09 Nov 2013 00:11 #40673 by cncbasher
this is a setup configuration in cut3d problem .
perhaps you can archive your full cut3d folder and attach
and we can take a look and guide you , or ask in the cut3d forum and attach your files

also just so we can discount any problem can you also attach your tool table ( tool.tbl ) from linuxcnc
Last edit: 09 Nov 2013 00:11 by cncbasher.

More
09 Nov 2013 02:59 #40677 by twitchingmuffin
I will do that when I get back home thanks for your help I truly do appreciate it.

More
09 Nov 2013 20:18 #40684 by Rick G
Are you sure you are not trying to add the tool offset in twice? Once in cut3d and then in linuxcnc?
I thought if you select the tool and tool size in cut3d it works out the offset so in linuxcnc you would not use the tool table.

Rick G

More
09 Nov 2013 20:31 #40685 by cncbasher

Are you sure you are not trying to add the tool offset in twice? Once in cut3d and then in linuxcnc?
I thought if you select the tool and tool size in cut3d it works out the offset so in linuxcnc you would not use the tool table.

Rick G

thats is my thought to , which is why i asked for the files and tool table Rick
it is a simple mistake to make , easy way is to have either the tool table in linuxcnc as a blank file and use the table in cut3d etc
or any cam program for that matter . and let the cam programs do their job ,

i also have a seperate tool table for linuxcnc , which uses totaly different tool numbers , so they cannot become mixed ..
is another option
Dave

More
10 Nov 2013 01:01 #40691 by twitchingmuffin
I was wondering about that I figured when the offset is set on cut 3d it should automatically generate the offset in the program and when I watch the cut preview on cut 3d everything works out great, out of the box I got a probotix comet and when I load cutpath it looks like when its cutting its not offsetting ive attached the part file im trying to cut,and the tool table I just noticed at the bottom of the screen it says tool 1 offset .5 diam. .0625 which would cause a problem, I new enough at this im not sure how to change it not real sure how I did it first time now
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2013 10:16 #40698 by twitchingmuffin
I did get it figured out, even though I told cut 3d what tool number to use, when it generated code it told it to use tool number 1, I couldn't get it to change that so I edited tool table before changing bit for each new program and it worked perfectly, Thanks to everyone who took time out of their day to give advice - I really appreciate it :woohoo:

More
10 Nov 2013 17:50 #40700 by cncbasher
glad you found it , and everything is ok
The following user(s) said Thank You: twitchingmuffin

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds