Harrison M280 CNC Lathe, Setting up Threading using phototransistor

More
25 May 2021 16:10 - 26 Aug 2021 03:18 #210237 by PhilCNC
Hello, I'm setting up my CNC Lathe, currently using a Mesa 7i76E and Zotac Zbox mini PC. I have a question regarding adding a spindle encoder, I'm currently using two Omron EE-SX1096-W11 and a wheel with 50 holes. This is what was originally on the machine. So now I need to hook up the 2 phototransistors to the Mesa board, should be pretty straight forward, but after looking at the spec sheet on these encoders I see that I will need to use resistors. I'm listening to any and all advice. I've searched around online and most people seem to use a rotary encoder that makes things a lot simpler.

Thanks!

Links to the spec sheets.
Phototransistor www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron...E-SX1096-W11/5864619
Mesa 7i76EMesa 7i76E
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Aug 2021 03:18 by PhilCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2021 16:18 #210238 by PCW
You need a current limiting resistor for the LED (say 180 Ohm for about 20 mA LED current) You don't need pull-up resistors as these are built into the 7I76E

So (for 'A')

+5V --> 180 Ohm resistor --> LED Anode --> LED Cathode --> GND
7I76E 'A' --> Transistor collector --> Transistor emitter --> GND

More
25 May 2021 22:25 #210278 by PhilCNC
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Have a great day.

More
26 May 2021 12:00 #210335 by andypugh
There is one of those in a workshop at work, proudly bearing the label that it was converted from CNC to manual by the apprentices. Which always struck me as an odd project.

What steppers / drivers does it have? I might have a set of spares (untested)

More
26 May 2021 12:01 #210336 by andypugh

There is one of those in a workshop at work, proudly bearing the label that it was converted from CNC to manual by the apprentices. Which always struck me as an odd project.

What steppers / drivers does it have? I might have a set of spares (untested)

For clarity, there is actually no connection between these facts. Which is why I am not sure that the drivers I have are from a Harrison.

More
26 May 2021 14:14 #210349 by PhilCNC
Hi Andy, I removed the original control board, I felt like it would have been far more involved that simply gutting it and starting fresh. I'm currently using DM860A and DM556 drivers for the Z and X axis respectively. I've been struggling to setup the encoder signal going into the Mesa card and Linuxcnc. I followed the standard Mesa 7I76E wiring diagram and configured the spindle encoder using PNC config. I have attached my Hal file as well, I'm not seeing the connection to the pins on TB3 in the Hal file. :) It feels like I am so close to having this all up and running.
Attachments:

More
26 May 2021 17:06 #210363 by andypugh
Yes, there is nothing encoder-related in that INI file. Perhaps PNCconf created a new file somewhere else?

Open a halmeter and have a look at hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.count and see if the number changes as you rotate the spindle.

More
26 Aug 2021 03:18 #218754 by PhilCNC
Thanks for the help Andy, it's mostly setup now but there seems to be a problem somewhere. When I command a G33, the machine does not move. I am getting encoder feedback though. I can adjust a variable in my Hal file to get motion with a G33, but it moves extremely slow! I feel so close to completion!

Here is a link to a video I took of this problem.

Any advise is appreciated! I will keep looking at other peoples files.

Hal and INI in original post.

More
26 Aug 2021 08:34 #218771 by andypugh
Does the spindle.0.revs signal _increase_ as the spindle rotates forwards? (And by 1.0 per revolution)

What is the state of spindle.0.index-enable when the system has "stuck" at the start of the G33?

More
27 Aug 2021 02:12 #218846 by PhilCNC
Hi Andy, looks like there is a problem. I opened Hal Scope and I didn't see a change on spindle.0.revs signal even as the spindle is turned on. Also spindle.0.index-enable is always off. I'm currently using a manual switch to turn the spindle on and off. I used PNC config to make the hal and ini files.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds