retrofitting a New CNC router (Osai Open XS control to Linuxcnc)

More
19 Oct 2023 22:31 #283330 by lunada
So i have a NewCNC (yes, that's the brand name) CNC Router currently with an Osai Open XS controller and 6 axis bridge. It's been pretty flakey lately, and fails to boot about 70% of the time. I have retrofitted several machines in the past with linuxcnc, but it's been probably 6-7 years and i'm going to be a bit rusty. Is there going to be much of a learning curve from the versions of 7 years ago to the most current version? 
I have ordered A 7i92tf, 7i85, 7i83 , 7i70 and 7i71 after speaking with Peter (thanks for the help). My other mill is running a 5i25 and 7i77 and i've been looking through the ini and hal files to get reacquainted with it all. I'd like to get a head start on creating the files for the new machine, but i am curious how to do it with these boards.
For example, my current file has this line: net coolant-flood hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.output-02
Would my new machine have a line like this?: net coolant-flood hm2_7i92.0.7i71.0.0.output-02
Or would it be more like this?: net coolant-flood hm2_7i92.0.7i85.0.7i71.0.0.output-02

or better yet, any sample configs floating around that would be similar?

i plan to document my retrofit here if anyone is interested. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2023 22:44 #283331 by tommylight

Would my new machine have a line like this?: net coolant-flood hm2_7i92.0.7i71.0.0.output-02

Probably like this, but the 0 might not be 0, depending on what smart serial port the 7i71 is using, but that cane be found out easily by doing a basic 7i92 config and running it, then see in "show hal configuration" from the "machine" menu for pins, you get the exact line for each input and output.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunada

More
19 Oct 2023 23:03 #283333 by lunada
thanks! unfortunately i just ordered the mesa hardware so i wont be able to run the config until it shows up (as far as i know).

More
19 Oct 2023 23:10 #283334 by rodw
probably the biggest change you may find is the change to multi spindle support which changes the spindle pins to spindle.0.on etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunada

More
24 Oct 2023 17:43 #283735 by lunada
So i received my hardware and got debian 11 installed so i could run the mesa config tool 2. I got the config tool installed and i started working on the config. However, it will not allow me to select the firmware. i did download the firmware from Mesanet's site and extract it into the /lib/libmesact folder. the 7i92t and 7i85 are connected and powered up. I also cannot verify the boards. Any ideas?

More
24 Oct 2023 17:58 #283736 by lunada
i installed mesaflash and now it allows me to select firmware. i havent gotten it to verify the board yet, but i'm working on that now

More
25 Oct 2023 15:56 - 25 Oct 2023 16:01 #283809 by lunada
i managed to get the 7i92t connected and mesa config tool working. however, i cant build a config because it says joint# analog min, max limits and scale max cant be left blank. there is nowhere to enter that data and i assume it's because the 7i83 isnt listed in the mesa config tool yet so i dont have an analog card selected (current version of the tool is 2.0.5). 
Any way around this? it's a servo machine. 
Last edit: 25 Oct 2023 16:01 by lunada.

More
31 Oct 2023 10:09 #284167 by andypugh
Did you get through this?

More
03 Nov 2023 00:52 #284406 by lunada
Sorry, i guess i missed the reply notification. I Sorta got through it. I just ended up scabbing a config together by hand. The machine is moving and i can home the x and z axes just fine.

Now i have two issues. 

the first one being i'm having trouble homing the y axis (gantry with 2 motors). It will move until it sees the home switch, then it will reverse directions to find the index as it should, then it sees the first index, then it seems to park and then get a joint following error (even though it isnt even attempting to move). It will never actually complete the home sequence for that axis. I do see the index-enabled pin go true on the one axis but not the other, ever.

The second issue is that i can jog the machine using the arrow keys with the jog speed limited to about 150ipm and it's fine. Once i go much higher (200ipm or so, but i have the accel rate set really slow so it takes a minute to get there), and then it gets close to the max velocity set by the jog bar (200ipm), it shoots at full machine speed (1200ipm or more) until it gets a following error. It's pretty violent when this happens, and it will do it in any axis. 

These are newer Yaskawa drives that came on the machine and may be tuned with their software internally for all i know. I tried playing with the p and ff values but no luck. 
I have been messing with the config files so some stuff may seem odd but here they are.
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2023 02:18 - 03 Nov 2023 16:06 #284410 by PCW
Loss of control at higher speeds may mean that you have exceeded the count rate of
the encoders with the current sample rate/filter settings. A simple check would be to see if 
setting the encoder filter off increases the speed before runaway.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2023 16:06 by PCW.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds