compumill 4000 retrofit

More
27 Dec 2010 18:02 #6270 by dewey525
Hello everyone,
Recently i bought a mill off ebay that was supposed to work but arrived with a bad dynapath delta 20 controller. I am looking to retrofit the machine with an emc2 controller. I am brand new to cnc, but i do have experience with plc's and some board level experience. It is equipped with 1 baldor um3015-100 servo drive and 2 servo dynamics sdfp1525-12 drives also it has a PIC interface board in the panel. Machine specs in the panel say the servos have 500L encoder lines.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed at this point. I would like to keep the servo drives and interface a configuration of mesa boards, but being new to cnc makes this intimidating at the least.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2010 18:58 #6271 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
The first step is to determine what type of signal the drives like. A common one is +-10vdc for velocity with encoder feedback to the control. For this type I used a Mesa 5i20, 7i33TA, 7i37TA's to control my Hardinge lathe. There are other schemes used by drives so you have to know. Pico also makes hardware that is supported by EMC but I'm not familiar with it.

If you have to purchase a PC the D510MO motherboard gives good latency and it very tiny.

John

More
27 Dec 2010 19:21 - 27 Dec 2010 22:59 #6272 by dewey525
Replied by dewey525 on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
Thank you for your reply. How would i find the drive signal type? Also I am confused If applicable would I need 1- 5120, 1 - 7133ta, and 3 - 7137ta?

Ive been digging through the machine and I have found that the dynapath has a servo input board in the control. I will keep learning what I have.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2010 22:59 by dewey525.

More
28 Dec 2010 01:10 #6277 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
If you have analog drives that would be a good solution, but you could only use 1x 7I33TA and 2x 7I37TAs on a 5I20
The 5I20 has three connectors and each daughter card uses one connector so three daughter cards is maximum for one 5I20. Each 7I37TA provides 16 isolated inputs and 8 isolated outputs, so with a 5I20, one 7I33TA, and two 7I37TAs, you would have:

4 analog +-10V outputs
4 encoder inputs (TTL or differential)
16 1Amp isolated outputs
32 isolated inputs.

The real question is how the Servo dynamics drives interface to the controller. The Baldor is a standard +-10 analog input drive: www.baldor.com/support/literature_load.asp?ManNumber=MN1213

More
28 Dec 2010 01:28 #6278 by dewey525
I figured the servo dynamics cards were replacements of baldor drives that went bad at some point in the mid 90's. The connections appear to be exactly the same. The servo dynamics cards 1 is labled x the other y and the baldor is labeled z. I can post pics of the panel and of the servo cards if that may help. I apreciate you guys that are chiming in helping me identify what i have so that i can plan for the retrofit.

More
28 Dec 2010 02:03 #6279 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
If they are the same as the Baldor, then it looks fairly straightforward. Section3-6 in the Baldor manual shows how the +-10V input connects (not sure whether single ended or differential analog inputs are better though)

More
29 Dec 2010 19:01 - 30 Dec 2010 00:05 #6316 by dewey525
All-right we are well on our way with a plan. Im hoping someone here may know some info about my encoders. They are datametrics s-9645-5-500-30. Im working my way through the wiring of the machine now attempting to identify and verify that my schematics and build sheets line up with the mills current configuration.
The one item Ive got to consider is adding a pendant. Currently the dynapath control is on its way back to the people The machine was purchased from as they say they can repair it, but even then its only a temp solution as I worry the first power failure we have it will die again. BigJohnT the motherboard you have recomended (D510MO) does not appear to have the necessary port type to interface the joypad style pendant as found in the tut for the simple remote pendant in which you have written. Unless you are using a usb type joypad for that tut. If not what other type motherboards may work well?
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 00:05 by dewey525.

More
31 Dec 2010 05:44 #6340 by dewey525
my encoders show the following config , and I am probably answering my own question here.
A
A-
B
B-
Z
Z-
5v

Now A and B I understand are position........ and Z would be my Tacho
My tach signal input into my drive amp, so A / B will interface into the 7I33 , but im still trying to figure out 0... Anyone have any ideas?

More
31 Dec 2010 11:11 #6343 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
Z is your index pulse and goes to the encoder input. 5v and 0 are the power connections.

The tacho is usually on the motor and is connected to the drive as it is the feed back for the drive. The drive applies power and if the tacho feedback is too slow or too fast it adjust the power to get the correct velocity. The tacho is not part of the EMC circuit.

John

More
02 Jan 2011 06:29 #6358 by dewey525
I have another issue for you guys.......
My mill in the main electrical pannel has a board labeled Compumill PIC interface board. Everything goes through this board. Ii has 9 ( omron my4 24vdc ) relays. Now the only 24vdc power source is from the dynapath power supply and deos not output directly to that board so I am sure the 24 vdc comes from the DC I/O board in the dynapath controller itself.
Each relay has a resistor and 2 diodes I assume acting as a type of snubber for the inductive load. The 7I37 states that it outputs 48vdc. I can buy new relays of that style, but that will cost more money that Id like to not spend ( $130.00 ) in fact. Is there another daughter card that outputs 24 vdc? If not is there a way to decrease the output voltage for the 7I37 without endangering the board itself. If I change to 48 vdc relays will I need to change the resistors and diodes? I wish I could say I knew enough about dc circuitry to answer these questions !

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds