Validating LinuxCNC Post for Autodesk CAM

More
28 Aug 2014 03:44 #50367 by petelordADSK
Autodesk CAM tools are full-featured NC generation tools integrated into mainstream CAD programs. Our goal is to streamline the learning curve as entrepreneurs and enthusiasts explore the creation of NC programs to extend their design projects. Current CAD integrations include SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, and Autodesk Fusion 360 (HSMWorks, Inventor HSM and CAM for Fusion 360 respectively). These products share machining technology and post-processors. Included with the CAM software is an existing EMC post; for simplicity, we'd also like to use that post as the basis for a LinuxCNC post.

I am asking the Linux CNC community for help to review and improve the EMC/LinuxCNC post processors. Please visit cam.autodesk.com to download our free 2-1/2 axis milling products or try our more comprehensive CAM tools. Depending on your CAD preference, and your need for machining technology, you will find a CAM product that you can use to exercise the post processor.

Of course, if you have comments on our CAM technology in general, we're happy to review that as well!

You can comment here, or take advantage of the Forum on cam.autodesk.com.

Thanks.

Pete Lord
Autodesk Product Management

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2014 16:43 - 28 Aug 2014 16:52 #50384 by cncbasher
i have messaged you Pete

Could i suggest that a duplicate of the emc.cps post processor to linuxcnc.cps or rename etc , this keeps in line with current renaming of emc2 to linuxcnc
due to legalities , and brings it into line with current code

this would effectively phase out emc2, but would mean that as changes evolve to the newer versions , we can keep the post updated
without sacrificing the older user if changes clashed between versions

regards
Dave
Last edit: 28 Aug 2014 16:52 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: petelordADSK

More
29 Aug 2014 18:37 #50454 by andypugh
I do actually use Inventor for all my CAD work, but I use a free home license attached to the licensed owned by my employer.
Unfortunately this license is for Inventor 2013 so the CAM package for Inventor won't work.

I also have Fusion (Mac) but it seems that the Fusion plug-in is for Fusion 360 (Windows ?)

So, much as I would like to, it appears that I won't be able to try the AutoDesk CAM offerings.

More
11 Sep 2014 08:34 #51054 by mozmck
Looks like I can't try it either, because I have neither Win7 or Mac, and it says my operating system is not supported (Linux Mint 16 64-bit).

More
13 Sep 2014 07:19 #51135 by jaredts
I use Inventor at work, and will fairly soon be upgrading to the latest version. Once we have it I will definitely be trying this out on my linuxcnc controlled mill. I'll be sure to post some feedback. If I could justify buying it for home I would certainly use it a lot more!

More
13 Sep 2014 08:38 #51136 by RayJr
I just started to work with HSMExpress. I have been working with the BobCAD plugin for solidworks.
I am interested in HSME because I work with a high school robotics team. We have several seats of Solidworks for the students, but only one seat of BobCAD.
With HSME being open, we can set up all of the students with it & get them more involved with the manufacturing of the parts they design for out robots.

With that said, the first thing I would change with the current emc post is to add a line at the head of the gcode file to preset the modes for the machine, like:
G17 G20 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90 G94.

Is there a tutorial on the structure of the post & how to make changes such as this?

Thank You!

Ray M.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

More
13 Sep 2014 16:57 - 16 Sep 2014 16:59 #51141 by cncbasher
well first off may i say , i have tried to get information and discuss with the people at HSMExpress , since this was first posted ( although i have used hsmexpress in the past )
to try and reach a rapport with these guys and support linuxcnc more , i have yet to make contact or have a reply ! , to more than a handful of messages

ok i modify my post and with an open apology to Pete , with contact made with autodesk , things are looking better

i'll support linuxcnc users where i can , with the limited information i have until HSMExpress prove me wrong

RayJr :
i'll look at it
Last edit: 16 Sep 2014 16:59 by cncbasher.

More
13 Sep 2014 22:21 #51149 by RayJr
A starting point might be to have a list of keywords.

Ray M.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

More
16 Sep 2014 00:46 #51202 by petelordADSK
We have a chapter on post customization available on our user forum which I have included in the attached .zip file

File Attachment:

File Name: post.zip
File Size:705 KB

Let me know if this gives you enough information to go forward. You are always invited to make requests via the post forum; camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?board=3.0

Pete
Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2014 03:42 #51205 by petelordADSK
CAM Capability is available for Mac Users of Fusion360 as a Technology Preview.

To get access, select Preferences from the Pulldown associated with your name in the right hand corner of the Fusion screen.

Among the choices you will see Preview (for me it is 3rd from bottom). Select the Fusion360 Preview option, and the CAM capability will be displayed for you.

I've attached an image of the preferences dialog right under the name pulldown that you would use to access it.

Let me know if you need any more help with the CAM capability.

Pete
Attachments:

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds