Can Linux CNC control twin turrets?

More
09 Apr 2012 18:42 #19055 by Clay Rice
I have two turning centers available for me to buy. One is an Okuma LC20 which has two turrets and no live tools, and an Index (don't know the model number for sure) with twin turrets one of which is live. I have seen the Hardinge Superslant retrofits out there with z axis only on the lower turret, but did not see the two turrets moving at the same time in any of the videos. Is LinuxCNC capable of simultaneous moves with two tools at the same or differing feed rates like a true dual path or dual channel control would? If so, how is this programmed? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2012 21:22 #19061 by BigJohnT
One of the guru's from the IRC said

not really. you'd have to run two linuxcncs on two computers, and coordinate them somehow (hook some IOs together and use M codes for sync?)
but my understanding is this is what commercial controls did too - just use two of them

John

More
09 Apr 2012 21:24 #19062 by Clay Rice
Wow, I hadn't really thought of that. Is there a way to get both controls using the same monitor?

More
09 Apr 2012 22:02 #19066 by BigJohnT
I think you have to use remote desktop or something similar to that.

John

More
09 Apr 2012 22:41 #19069 by robh
yea as john said u need to PCs running.. and then use some kinda code to sync them when you need to wait etc

but how u put 2 on 1 is something to determin, maybe a new GUI that can talk to a 2nd one remotly i dont know...

my self, with the superslants. very few times did we find controls the bottom Z on its own handy but realy with EMC / linuxcnc we did that same job last year with zero problems..
maybe if we had two X & Z axes might be different but then i only see the point in two contorls if we had a sub spindle too as alot of the time what we do, both turrets would get in the way and you would be waiting around for top or bottom. so programing them in the same Code is fine for us..

do you have a sub spindle?
what makes you want to control both at the same time etc?

rob

More
09 Apr 2012 23:06 #19070 by Clay Rice
Well, the main reason I would like to control both turrets independently is because this is the way the machines were controlled originally. I have a lot of parts that could be "pinch turned" quite easily with no interference problems. I mean, if you can't, the only advantage to a twin turret machine would just be more tools. The little index has a subspindle, but it is mounted like a live tool on the main turret. You could either use the lower turret to do back work, or there is a row of gang tools in the back of the machine if you want to index the main turret so the subspindle points away from the headstock. Both are in pretty good mechanical condition, but the controls are toast. At this point, I'm just trying to get an idea of how possible this is and how much am I going to spend. On that Superslant, how do tool offsets work? It seems to me you would still have to have the tool offsets for both turrets active. Nice job on that machine by the way.

More
09 Apr 2012 23:54 #19075 by robh
on superlsant, i have X and Z
then bottom is W

so both turrets have there own offsets etc

sounds very nice machine u can get your self there.. im sure there is afew ways to go about this depends how much time you have etc..
might want to put this out on the mailing list also to see what ideas you can get back

rob

More
23 May 2020 16:19 #168695 by nkp
If we need alternate work.
Is it possible to apply such a scheme?
Switch mux-demux allowed only if turret1 and turret2 in zero position.
(tool_change_position_turret1 = tool_change_position_turret2 = home_pos = (0,0))
Attachments:

More
23 May 2020 16:41 #168699 by cmorley
Once about a time there was an experimental branch of linuxcnc that could have two instances of linuxcnc on one machine.

The developer that did that started Machinekit, so maybe that capability got into machinekit. Then it would be a case of synchronization.

More
23 May 2020 16:43 #168700 by nkp
Synchronous operation is not of interest at the moment, only separate.

Time to create page: 2.081 seconds