Amish machinist needs help

More
17 Feb 2013 04:59 #30205 by brex
Hello, I am helping a friend who is Amish and has his own machine shop. First I am not a machinist and do not understand G code but I am an electrical engineer and know other programming languages. My friend has many restrictions on the technology he is allowed to use which is normally judged by the local Bishop. He cannot use a a computer that can access the internet, send e-mail, play music etc. You get the picture. He can use specialized technology in his business. Since a regular Windows computer is not permitted I suggested that perhaps a Linux computer would work if it were limited to just his work needs. This guy is very smart, understands technology and how to use it in his unique Amish situation.

My friend uses a device made by RBR called the cncgcoder. Which he uses to download the file to his machine. He has a problem with it because the screen is too small and wants a bigger screen for developing his code. He has a flash drive for storage. He wants to be able to edit a g code program on an editor and save it to a flash drive and insert it into the hand held device which he can carry to the machine.

He thinks that Linux would be acceptable to his Bishop.

Any suggestions? Remember, I know little about this industry.

brex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2013 05:53 #30206 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Amish machinist needs help
:huh:
I think if the Bishop knows about computers then he cannot use linux as well, because a PC with linux can make the same as a pc with windows (internet and so on).
So, if he takes religion very serious then he cannot use also linux. Or maybe he can and simply do not connect the PC to the internet?
But then he will not be able to configure the machine as he need to ask a lot of things ;)
This is a strange question, no?

More
17 Feb 2013 08:02 #30207 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Amish machinist needs help
Well in linux's case you could unload the network kernel modules, then the networking can't work.

but that is really just another way of promising not to connect it to the internet.

More
17 Feb 2013 08:55 #30209 by brex
Replied by brex on topic Amish machinist needs help
What you say is absolutely correct. Technically it makes little sense. It has more to do with temptation, you have a Windows computer sitting with an internet connection so the temptation is high. Remove the word Windows pull out the nic card, uninstall the browser and the temptation no longer thereby satisfying the Bishop. Not to mention that he has probably never heard the word Linux.

My biggest concern is, assuming that the Bishop is OK with Linux, can my friend use Linux based G code software with ease. I understand that the data file is text but I would assume that you wouldn't create the G code on Notepad or it's Linux equivalent. Is it technically feasible for him to do this?

brex

More
17 Feb 2013 12:35 #30211 by Todd Zuercher
Where, are you and your Amish friend located?

Maybe he could outsource his code generation to an "English" neighbor?

I am located in Wayne Co. Ohio on the edge of one of the largest Amish communities in the world.

Generating G-code is my day job.

More
17 Feb 2013 20:53 - 17 Feb 2013 20:55 #30215 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Amish machinist needs help

What you say is absolutely correct. Technically it makes little sense. It has more to do with temptation, you have a Windows computer sitting with an internet connection so the temptation is high. Remove the word Windows pull out the nic card, uninstall the browser and the temptation no longer thereby satisfying the Bishop. Not to mention that he has probably never heard the word Linux.

My biggest concern is, assuming that the Bishop is OK with Linux, can my friend use Linux based G code software with ease. I understand that the data file is text but I would assume that you wouldn't create the G code on Notepad or it's Linux equivalent. Is it technically feasible for him to do this?

brex

Having a Windoze or Linux computer makes not difference if you don't have an ISP to connect to. In any case remove the programs not needed to do the job from Ubuntu and there you go. Add in any G code programs and tutorials and helpers like ngcgui before you bring it to your friend.

John
Last edit: 17 Feb 2013 20:55 by BigJohnT.

More
17 Feb 2013 23:24 #30217 by brex
My friend is in Lancaster County, PA, I am in Chester County, about 30 miles away. The problem is he is not friendly with any English neighbors that understand the technical side of what he wants to do.

Now, you guys are applying logic to the problem. yes we know what a computer can do and how to inhibit certain functions. It is not about reality, it is about perception. The Bishop knows that Windows is bad because people use it to connect to the internet. His perception is his reality. We need to use something that he is unfamiliar with and does not deem it bad because he perceives it that way. Linux is an unfamiliar term and may be deemed acceptable just because it isn't Windows. The biggest concern is that it will still look like a computer that in his perception is bad. I have had enough contact with the Amish to realize that if you try to analyze their decisions as to why and how, it will drive you nuts. They are very smart people but they are bound to a rigid set of rules.

Assuming that Linux passes muster will the available CNC G code software do what he wants and that is to create a file that can be saved on a flash drive and then downloaded using his CNCGcoder?

brex

More
18 Feb 2013 00:07 #30218 by Todd Zuercher
Unfortunately good, easy to use CAD/CAM software that is native to Linux seems to be hard to if not impossible to find. However there may be a few options that might run under Wine. (I am thinking mainly of Vetric Software's Aspire and some of their other offerings). I am also assuming that your Amish friends CNC needs are mostly wood carving related.

More
18 Feb 2013 00:15 #30219 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Amish machinist needs help

My friend is in Lancaster County, PA, I am in Chester County, about 30 miles away. The problem is he is not friendly with any English neighbors that understand the technical side of what he wants to do.

Now, you guys are applying logic to the problem. yes we know what a computer can do and how to inhibit certain functions. It is not about reality, it is about perception. The Bishop knows that Windows is bad because people use it to connect to the internet. His perception is his reality. We need to use something that he is unfamiliar with and does not deem it bad because he perceives it that way. Linux is an unfamiliar term and may be deemed acceptable just because it isn't Windows. The biggest concern is that it will still look like a computer that in his perception is bad. I have had enough contact with the Amish to realize that if you try to analyze their decisions as to why and how, it will drive you nuts. They are very smart people but they are bound to a rigid set of rules.

Assuming that Linux passes muster will the available CNC G code software do what he wants and that is to create a file that can be saved on a flash drive and then downloaded using his CNCGcoder?

brex

Yes, perception is reality. What kind of G code does he need to develop? There is a world of difference between coding profiles and holes and 3-D mold work... What is his CNCGcoder? So unless I'm confused and I am a lot, does your Amish friend just need to generate G code for his machine from drawings?

John

More
18 Feb 2013 04:33 #30225 by brex
The device he is using is made by RBR Machine Tools. All of the work he does is in metal. He has a small shop with about 6 machines. He makes a lot of parts for small manufacturers that need pulleys, axles, castings machined and some grinding and just about anything. He likes the CNCGcoder but doesn't like the key pad so he connects a keyboard and the screen is too small. Advancing age does take a toll on vision. If he could connect a larger display to the device that would work but that can't be done.

Here is a link to the device www.rbrmachinetools.com/pages/cncgcoderhome/cncgcoder.php

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, brex

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds