Obtaining Line Numbers for Errors

More
21 Aug 2014 00:34 #50111 by GaryLa
I cannot find anything about how to make EMC2 report line numbers when it reports an error in my gcode.

For example, I'm getting the error "Nested comment found". However, there is no line number information.

If it's not possible to print the line number, is it at least possible to display the offending text?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2014 04:22 #50120 by BigJohnT
I just created a nested comment and the pop up error box said:

Near line 15 of
file name etc.
Nested comment found.

In any case a nested comment is:

((comment) another comment)

JT

More
21 Aug 2014 07:22 #50123 by GaryLa
That's very interesting. I wonder if I have a different version of EMC2...

I got this version from a CD given to me by Sherline. I'm just now getting up-to-speed with all this, so I dare not change much or too quickly.

I have gotten line numbers before, but the "Bad number format" and "Nested comment" errors aren't giving me line numbers. I'm sure someday I'll know why. Thanks for the help!

More
21 Aug 2014 16:57 - 21 Aug 2014 16:58 #50137 by ArcEye
Hi

The guy at Sherline used to supply an installation that was based on Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04) and EMC 2.3
I assume once he had a config that worked, that was all he was interested in

His site now talks about upgraded CNC based on Lucid, which is past long term support and being dropped by Linuxcnc.

The only bit of the whole installation that is tied to Sherline, is your config and any ngc files he supplies as examples (they may well come from the project anyway)

Once you are familiar enough with EMC / Linuxcnc, you can repartition your HDD (divide it in two) and do a new install of an up to date Linuxcnc and operating system on the new partition and migrate your configs over to it.
That way, if you mess up, you just wipe the partition and do it again and you still have your original install to fall back on.

regards
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 16:58 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GaryLa

More
21 Aug 2014 18:52 #50142 by BigJohnT

That's very interesting. I wonder if I have a different version of EMC2...

I got this version from a CD given to me by Sherline. I'm just now getting up-to-speed with all this, so I dare not change much or too quickly.

I have gotten line numbers before, but the "Bad number format" and "Nested comment" errors aren't giving me line numbers. I'm sure someday I'll know why. Thanks for the help!

I tend to assume questions are about a recent version of LinuxCNC and not about old EMC versions.

To find out what version of Ubuntu your running open a terminal and type in the following:
lsb_release -a

The Description: line will tell you what version of Ubuntu your running.

When you start EMC2 the top of the window should show what version of EMC your running.

The above will tell us where your at.

In case you don't know what/where the terminal is the terminal should be in Applications > Accessories > Terminal from the Ubuntu menu.

JT

More
25 Aug 2014 23:14 #50276 by GaryLa
For Linux:

No LSB modules are available
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: Lucid

For EMC2:

For the lathe: AXIS 2.4.6

The mill uses a GUI that appears to be perl/Tcl. It does not ID its version, but calls itself "TkMini" and has a copyright of 2003. I also assume it's driving the AXIS 2.4.6 under the hood, but I haven't looked into any of this yet. I used to write tons of perl, so I figured I'd dig in soon.

More
26 Aug 2014 05:12 #50285 by BigJohnT
TKMini is not the same as Axis. Is there a reason your using such and old interface (it's not even a GUI).

JT

More
26 Aug 2014 11:27 #50293 by GaryLa
I'm just using the code from the CD that Sherline distributes. I realize it's a disaster, believe me... But for the moment, I think it's better I crawl with this and then upgrade.

I have a number of projects that I'm strangling out of these machines using their code - after spending many hours altering their config files.

When I upgrade I also want to look into replacing this driver board of theirs. Are there generic LPT port-based 4-axis driver boards out there that EMC2 is known to function well with?

I'd also like to add some limit/home switches. Add a touch-off probe if possible.

Perhaps you know of a place that sells parts such as these?

More
26 Aug 2014 16:02 #50298 by ArcEye
Hi

You are in the States, so this firm seems to have a good reputation, albeit I think their stuff is all over priced
www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php

You definately should avoid the TB6xxx chinese all in one controllers, they are low power, have no over voltage protection and are notoriously difficult to set up due a multitude of different pin outs in what are ostensibly the same model.

There is usually nothing wrong with most of the 'Leadshine' clone stepper drivers on ebay however.

Roy at this firm makes some good boards, much cheaper than CNC4PC and is very knowledgable and easy to deal with. ( I don't know what customs liabilty you might have importing from UK however, he can probably advise)
www.diycnc.co.uk/

regards

More
26 Aug 2014 22:08 #50320 by GaryLa
Thanks for the tips. I will look into those soon. I like the "motherboard" format of the diycnc products. I'll be over there in 6 weeks, maybe I can buy it and bring it back with me...

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds