Embroidery machine

More
13 Apr 2016 00:27 #73207 by allenwg2005
Is there anyone out there running LCNC on a commercial embroidery machine?
If there is, I would like to have a dialogue about machines.
Thanks, Allen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2016 22:18 #73261 by gryphon68
Replied by gryphon68 on topic Embroidery machine
Just curious, what is the work flow from pattern to G-code? Are there existing tools that aren't tied to commercial machines?

More
13 Apr 2016 23:08 #73264 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic Embroidery machine
Hmm, "work flow from pattern to G-code?" if I understand the question, here's what I think is the answer.
I have a Gantry router I use for lots of things (I run LCNC to control that), I use a couple different CAD/CAM programs to draw and generate Gcode. They are Synergy, Vetric, and I'm attempting to bring FreeCAD on line.

I have no machine to speak of for the embroidery, that's what I'm curious about. (What works or doesn’t work)
I have visited folks running these machines and they all insist they have to run some extremely expensive program(s) to do this sort of thing. I just wondered if it's being done with LNCN as the control software, no reason it couldn't I should think.

Thanks for responding.

More
14 Apr 2016 04:17 #73269 by geoffs
Replied by geoffs on topic Embroidery machine
There's an old thread on cnczone about DIY embroidery machines. It seems to be Mach3 oriented but there are some discussions on suitable 2d CAD/CAM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
14 Apr 2016 11:14 #73292 by gryphon68
Yeah, I saw that when I did a little Googling on the topic as well. The original poster evidently wrote some software that produces embroidery G-Code:

my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/2010/02/embr...erator-v24-beta.html

Also a reference in the DIY thread on cnczone about using a 3D printing Slicer to generate g-gode.

Finally, I saw reference somewhere to a translator someone had written that took a proprietary binary output file format from commercial embroidery software and had figured out how to translate it to G-code.

More
14 Apr 2016 11:51 #73294 by gryphon68
The big difference between a subtractive (a cnc router or mill) and additive (a 3D printer or embroiderer) is that the path doesn't really matter that much for subtractive, but it is make or break for additive.

Before anyone jumps in, yes, there are subtractive methods (path generation) that generate better finishes and tolerances, but at the end of the day, it's about removing what is not wanted to reveal the final part/product.

It's an interesting topic, I have access to a single color cnc embroider machine at Techshop. While it's nice, the real money makers are multi-color, multi-needle machines. I suspect a DIY single color machine is completely possible. Multi-color/needle could be handled as tools with offsets, the issue is obtaining (or building?) a multi-needle sewing head. Most of the multi-needle machines cost as much as a car.

More
14 Apr 2016 14:00 #73300 by allenwg2005
Thanks for the feedback, the truth is I just don’t have time for another project. (Too many lined up already).
I was just curious if LCNC could be configured to work, and if you could marry the gantry knowledge base to the embroidery field.
And if it was possible, what machine would be a good fit.
I wouldn't do enough embroidery to justify going nuts, I have way too much work to do to even think of taking on another branch of business and developing it.

Thanks again for your interest and responding, Allen

More
14 Apr 2016 14:19 #73301 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Embroidery machine
I don't think it would be very difficult, especially if you were just converting an existing machine. I don't even think you'd even need 3 axis, you'd just cycle the needle at the end of each linear 2-d movement. The trickiest part might be finding the right cam program to generate the G-code.

More
14 Apr 2016 14:32 #73303 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Embroidery machine

Is there anyone out there running LCNC on a commercial embroidery machine?

Not exactly the same, but did you see the recent LinuxCNC rug-making machine?

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/show-your-stuff...48-rugbot-1000#72109

More
14 Apr 2016 14:50 #73307 by allenwg2005
Now that you mention it I did see that rug machine, not as refined as embroidery but the same principal.
If I can find a "test" subject cheap (so I can experiment) I might consider this, but again I honestly shouldn't take on another project.
(The wife thinks I'm crazy already)!

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds