Linuxcnc on industrial PC

More
15 Jul 2016 13:50 #77491 by mfalcon
Hello all

We are planning to put linuxcnc on an industrial PC, so we become safer regarding hardware performance, and in the same time we save the cost of proprietary CNC operasting system of the manufacturing company of the industrial PC.
We did not go on to do this integration, so are there any pitfalls or traps in this idea? any suggesstions?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 15:33 #77503 by Todd Zuercher
I see no reason most industrial PCs shouldn't work fine (provided it has usable latency).

That said I (and the company I work for) are too cheap to spring for high quality industrial PC hardware, when standard stuff has been more than adequate for our uses. I have not had a mother board running Linuxcnc fail, it is usually things like power supplies and disk-drives that fail, and you can usually replace several whole pcs for the cost of one industrially hardened one.

More
15 Jul 2016 15:38 #77504 by Todd Zuercher
If I were building a machine to sell it might be a different matter. But for an in house conversion, I don't mind needing to do the occasional simple PC repair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mfalcon

More
15 Jul 2016 16:52 #77514 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Linuxcnc on industrial PC
I sell machines (industrial grade - big and relatively expensive) and I use standard parts as the PC. SSD hard drive and a good motherboard/processor that you can find replacements on the future is all that you need.
For interface I have designed full panels and the backbone is probably the keyborad and mice. I have settled with some flats keyboards that are hard to kill.

If you use a industrial PC (probably non standard) you might end without replacements in the future. If you are in a large country like USA it might be easy to get parts, but in my country we need to import almost all, so standard is a must.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mfalcon

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds