Need Help with G-code for Filament Winding

More
11 Aug 2019 16:38 #141920 by SinfulDarkLord
Hi everyone, I am new here to these forums. I am looking forward to learning more about Linuxcnc and learning the g-code parameters for filament winding.

I make carbon fibers tubes using an X-winder and hopefully I can get a business going later on. However, the current controllers and software from X-winder is not executing the g-code properly and I am ending up with bad filament wound tubes.

I will be swapping the controllers and interface with ones that are compatible with Linuxcnc. I will later be posting in the configuration thread to ask for some help on how I can configure the stepper motors for such a task.

For now I need help with formulas and how I can write the G-code.

Thank you for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2019 05:48 #141947 by pl7i92
hi
there are postprocessors for Filament
and it is simply as you are on fixed material low thickness the length of the edge to be winded of
so you can do the standard g.code for Lathe if on tube or 4th axis
and take the edge length inside a component motion.distance-to-go
combine with a user Mcode that says startrolling to the component and ofcause a other one stop unweeling
The following user(s) said Thank You: SinfulDarkLord

More
13 Aug 2019 18:25 #142064 by andypugh
Someone brought a LinuxCNC tube winder to the Stuttgart Meet-up a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I have no recollection of who they were...

More
14 Aug 2019 05:00 #142108 by Mike_Eitel
Norbert helped him to have his gui

More
15 Aug 2019 00:55 #142176 by SinfulDarkLord
Hey guys thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to respond back. To be honest, I thought nobody had responded. I don't know why I am not getting email notifications as I should. Anyways pl7i92, I am unfamiliar with the g-code set up for lathe and also I am just confirming this, but did you mean that the linuxcnc software already comes with a set up for filament winding?

andypugh, that sounds awesome, I have seen multiple videos on youtube of linuxcnc users making filament wound carbon fiber tubes. It truly is awesome and I want to have tubes made with precision just like they are getting.

Does Linuxcnc support angular rotation g-code?

More
15 Aug 2019 03:18 #142185 by joekline9
If by angular you mean helical. Yes. use G33

More
15 Aug 2019 04:26 #142191 by andypugh

If by angular you mean helical. Yes. use G33

G33 is one way, that slaves the linear movement to the measured rotation of an encoder, typically a spindle.
Alternatively the rotary axis can be a true axis, and can make contrlolled angular moves coordinated with linea (or other angular) moves.
LinuxCNC supports coordinated moves in 9 axes, named XYZABCUVW. Typically ABC are angular axes and XYZUVW are linear, but in practice any of the axes can be used for linear or angular actuators.

More
16 Aug 2019 03:54 #142305 by SinfulDarkLord
Awesome, but does this mean I need stepper motors with encoders? I was thinking of buying new stepper motors due to the fact that I need some info from them in order to configure them in linuxcnc. The stepper motors I have currently don't have any model numbers and such for me to get the info. Either that or I have not been looking hard enough O_o.

Also does Linuxcnc have a command to mark the starting position of the angular rotation?

More
16 Aug 2019 09:23 #142310 by andypugh
If you want to use a conventional (not stepper) motor for the rotary axis then that axis would need an encoder, and you would use G33.

If the rotary axis is stepper driven then no encoder is needed. You can either run it as a spindle with G33 slaved to stepper position, or run it as a roatary "A" Axis and make coordinated moves with both axes.

More
17 Aug 2019 01:58 #142359 by SinfulDarkLord
I have two NEMA 23 geared stepper motors with a step angle of 1.8 degrees. Pretty much then, I need no encoder.

Do you have an idea of how the g-code would look like to get a helical wind?

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds