Installing on Ubuntu 21.04

More
21 Nov 2020 02:40 #189941 by Dave H
I have created a USB stick with the 2.8 installation files on it from the ISO. I can run 2.8 live from the stick just fine. If I try either the Install or Graphic Install option, when I get to the section for identifying a CD-ROM drive the installation has to be aborted. I do not have a CD drive in the system. I have tried a USB CD-ROM drive with a DVD in it with the installation files on it, but it is not recognized by the system.
UEFI is disabled. BIOS set to boot from USB first. I have created DVDs from both Rufus and the Windows ISO burner app.
Is is not possible to install from the USB stick?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2020 02:58 #189944 by rootboy
I had no problems installing it on two different PCs. However, each one does have a CD/DVD drive.

I don't recall having to specify a CD/DVD drive, probably because one was already installed on my systems.

I suppose that you could borrow or buy a USB CD/DVD drive. They go for about $25 on Amazon.

More
21 Nov 2020 03:06 #189945 by Dave H
I did attach a USB CD/DVD burner to the system and it was not recognized.

More
21 Nov 2020 05:58 #189955 by rootboy
I have an old Dell 755 here and I am in the process of downloading Ubuntu 32 bit for it. I had some issues with the old beast, no HDD, but I found one, and the memory had to be reseated to get it to boot.

I had tried LXLE but it wouldn't boot. We'll see what Ubuntu Mate does...

Back to your problem, Does your PC see the CD/DVD in BIOS? And what version of Linux are you trying to install? Try installing a different version.

Meanwhile I will try to get Ubuntu going on my beater box PC.

More
21 Nov 2020 06:27 #189957 by rodw
Win32diskimager is your friend for bootable USB from Windows. Try using that.

More
21 Nov 2020 16:10 #189988 by rootboy
So no surprises here, Linux installed without needing the CD/DVD drive to be connected.

More
21 Nov 2020 16:30 - 21 Nov 2020 18:59 #189991 by pdxalz
I had the same problem. What I did as a work around is at the message, remove the usb drive, plug it back in and hit continue. When it rescans for the cd it succeeds and works fine after that.

Also, I just tried a Wheezy install on the same hardware, and it does not have that problem.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2020 18:59 by pdxalz.

More
21 Nov 2020 20:58 #190009 by Dave H
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will give them a try!

More
25 Nov 2020 00:48 #190234 by Dave H
Well, I tried all the suggestions, and nothing worked. Even tried installing from a USB CD drive multiple times and no luck. It just puts the PC into an endless restart loop after the installation app finds and mounts the CD drive.

Would still like to install from a USB stick, but the installation app fails if the install CD is not in the drive. It will not let me continue.
I had no trouble installing 2.7.14 a while back from a stick (I think) but not this.

More
25 Nov 2020 01:05 #190235 by tommylight
-check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO file
-write the ISO to a USB drive using win32diskimager on windows or DD on Linux
--enter the PC BIOS and disable secure boot, UEFI, enable legacy boot
--press F12 or F11 or F9 when powering on the PC with the USB inserted
--choose USB without UEFI
That will work always even if you skip the BIOS part.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds