Installing on Ubuntu 21.04

More
26 Nov 2020 04:47 #190316 by pdxalz
I have a very similar system, except it is the Gigabyte GA-D525STUD and I only have 2G of RAM. I'm also using the onboard graphics adapter. I had the same install problem you described when I tried to install Buster, but I got past the error:

At the "Detect and mount CD-ROM screen ... couldn't be mounted" screen, I pull the USB drive out and then reinsert it. Then I hit continue and the install goes fine after that.

Also, I tried the RTAI kernel for the Buster install but the system didn't seem to work as well as it did with Wheezy. I ended up buying a cheap ASRock J3355B (also ITX, but with a Celeron). It also has the USB install problem and the same fix works. I haven't been able to get the Buster RTAI to work on it yet, but it works great with Wheezy. It was discussed on this thread: forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...tency-mesage?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2020 08:45 #190320 by BeagleBrainz

I have a very similar system, except it is the Gigabyte GA-D525STUD and I only have 2G of RAM. I'm also using the onboard graphics adapter. I had the same install problem you described when I tried to install Buster, but I got past the error:

At the "Detect and mount CD-ROM screen ... couldn't be mounted" screen, I pull the USB drive out and then reinsert it. Then I hit continue and the install goes fine after that.

Also, I tried the RTAI kernel for the Buster install but the system didn't seem to work as well as it did with Wheezy. I ended up buying a cheap ASRock J3355B (also ITX, but with a Celeron). It also has the USB install problem and the same fix works. I haven't been able to get the Buster RTAI to work on it yet, but it works great with Wheezy. It was discussed on this thread: forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...tency-mesage?start=0

I've used the exact same ASRock board and never had any issues with installation via USB. Did you try other USB sticks or did you only try the one ?

More
26 Nov 2020 22:48 #190380 by pdxalz
Buster installs fine now on both motherboards, D525 and J3355. (I'm not the original poster) The problem in my case appears to be how I created the bootable usb drive. Before, I created the bootable drive from my Windows PC using the Rufus program. It created a usable drive, but required unplugging and reinserting the usb drive.

When I used Buster to create the drive using "dd" it worked fine.

Also verision 3.11 of Rufus on Windows worked fine if I selected the "Write in DD mode" instead of the recommended "write in ISO image mode", after hitting the start button.

More
06 Dec 2020 01:40 #191196 by Dave H
Well, I finally got this to work with The 2.8 iso and Buster. Removing the usb stick and resetting the BIOS to default values seemed to do the trick. I used Rufus to create the usb in iso mode.
Thanks to all for the help!!

More
06 Dec 2020 23:31 #191280 by Benb
I second that, I used RUFUS 3.13 to install LinuxCNC 2.8.0 it worked well for an HP elitedesk 800 g1 (i5 8meg ram). Jitter around 42000ns using pre-emptrt.

More
19 Dec 2020 07:03 #192430 by Adam Maszynotwór
I confirm the existence of the problem - Same problem with Lenovo 6072-CTO computer - (cannot see CD / DVD)
Pendrive made in LinuxLive USB Creator (LiLi) (I've always done this and old versions worked)
Only making the Pendriwa in Rufus 3.13 helped
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Jul 2021 12:55 #213429 by GlasairMan
Rufus is a Wiondows program and (as it warns you) may not contain all the files you need for a Linux install - as I found out. If you already have a Linux system, use the USB Media Creator which is part of most Distis (I have Ubuntu)
as
But don't ask me why they package it a pretty outdated Debian .iso
It would have been much better as a Ubuntu Linux Snap in the Store

More
01 Jul 2021 12:58 #213430 by GlasairMan
..and who uses DVD drives today? I plopped a SSD in a Caddy in there YEARS ago. Get up to date, guys!!

More
More
01 Jul 2021 23:15 #213462 by GlasairMan
.iso 2.8 Buster downloaded today if thats what you mean.
if you mean Rufus, also latest version

Time to create page: 2.220 seconds