CNC Stopped moving

More
03 May 2021 20:27 #207747 by fergarzaw
CNC Stopped moving was created by fergarzaw
Hi All, tried searching for common topics but couldn't find a similar problem. I've been using linuxcnc about 7 years now, with the same machine, same steppers, same drivers. All of a sudden, one day the steppers won't turn, what is wierd is that I can turn on/off the linuxcnc machine without turning on the drivers, previously it wouldn't let me turn the machine on until the drivers where powered. I am looking for possible issues, would this be an issue if the drivers died? Or if the paralel port cable had something wrong with it (I disconnected the paralel port wire and didn't change anything) Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2021 23:01 #207763 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC Stopped moving
It's hard to tell without more details.

Is this a machine that you built yourself?

Does LinuxCNC start normally? Are the stepper motors locked when the machine is powered up, or can you turn them?

Have you checked the outputs of all your power supplies?

More
03 May 2021 23:12 #207765 by fergarzaw
Replied by fergarzaw on topic CNC Stopped moving
Thanks for the reply. I built it myself, with probotix drivers and motors.

Linuxcnc starts normally, no error messages, it starts as if everything was working.

Stepper motors are locked when the power from the probotix drivers is turned on.

I have not checked the outputs, will check that tomorrow, any idea how I can check the outputs of the parallel port?

More
04 May 2021 07:53 #207801 by andypugh
If the motors are locked then that indicates that the stepper power supply is OK.

The outputs that I was meaning were any additional power supplies, such as a 5v logic supply etc.

Does LinuxCNC think that the machine is moving? ie, do the numbers change on screen with no corresponding changes with the hardware?

More
04 May 2021 14:03 #207828 by fergarzaw
That's exactly what is happening, the numbers change on the screen as if it where moving, but the steppers don't move.

I will take a look today at the other voltages.

More
04 May 2021 14:35 #207833 by andypugh
It sounds like the 5V supply to the breakout board has gone bad (if it needs one, that is)
(Or the parallel port cable has been unplugged)

More
04 May 2021 23:16 #207896 by fergarzaw
I checked all the power supplies and everything seems to be working. I then tried connecting it to another computer (using the same cable) I have with LinuxCNC and it did work, I assumed that the parallel port from the computer was wrong and had an extra one, I mounted it, but I don't have idea how to now tell LinuxCNC to send the information via the new parallel port, or even if linux has detected the new parallel port. Any help would be awesome.

More
04 May 2021 23:21 #207897 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CNC Stopped moving
Did by any chance the PC require you to press F1 at boot?
Might want to enter the BIOS and set everything to default, save and reboot the PC.
If that does not work, enter the BIOS again and check for parallel port, namely notice the address, IRQ and if it is using DMA.
I suspect the DMA is off for some reason, some PC's ( a lot) can do that, but that will not work for machine control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

More
05 May 2021 11:59 #207957 by andypugh

I mounted it, but I don't have idea how to now tell LinuxCNC to send the information via the new parallel port, or even if linux has detected the new parallel port. Any help would be awesome.

Assuming that you can't get the original P-port working by fiddling with the BIOS, as suggested by tommylight, then you should look in the HAL file for "loadrt hal_parport cfg=...." which will contain the address of the original parport (very probably 0x378))

Then run "sudo lspci -v" to find the base address of the new parport (there may be a couple of candidates, but will probably be a 4-digit hexadecimal number). Keep trying them until something works.

HAL doesn't care what hardware parport.0 is, so nothing else should need to change.

More
05 May 2021 16:56 #207992 by fergarzaw
You are amazing, when I read about the F1 at boot I got a flashback of doing that and went running to my computer, that did the trick, the parallel port was disabled for some reason, thank you so much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds