Running config without 7i92

More
17 Aug 2022 10:13 #249944 by daiman444
I salute you. I wanted to know if it is possible to run the linuxcnc config for 7i92 without the board itself?
The goal is to edit the config and its settings on a virtual machine or on another PC, but the 7i92 config won't run without a fee.
Option 1: create a clone of the config but for lpt.
Option 2 to comment out all calls to hostmot and hm2_7i92.
But both of these options entail obvious problems when porting to a working machine: renaming pins for hm2_7i92 and so on.
I'm not good at English and most likely that's why I couldn't find a topic with similar questions by searching.
I will be glad for any useful information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2022 10:20 #250912 by tommylight
If you want to test the gcode and check if it runs properly, then yes, just run any of the included configs in the "sim" section of the LinuxCNC config picker (the thing that opens when you start LinuxCNC).
Making a hardware sim is not very useful as the pins would need changing to simulated ones, that entails editing the hal file back and forth any time you want to test on real hardware.
It might work by pointing the ini file to different hal files, but that again is not the same as the changes made to the sim hal would have to be done in the hardware hal file.
Sorry but having a hard time finding any valid reason for running a hardware sim. You do need the hardware attached when testing changes, so .....
The following user(s) said Thank You: daiman444

More
03 Oct 2022 14:17 #253350 by daiman444
Thank you for your reply.
During working hours, for example, it is not possible to make any changes to the configuration of the machine and the interface. But at home on a virtual machine, you can easily do this: for example, adjust the glade panel, or completely draw it, or something similar from tasks. In the current state of affairs, you have to write everything on sim or for lpt, as a result of which the integration hung for almost a month, because during working hours the machine works and there is no way to stand rewriting in the machine. In configs with lpt, after all, this is possible: just ctrl + c, ctrl + v with some minor debugging on the go

More
03 Oct 2022 14:51 #253351 by Todd Zuercher
Developing a user interface or other software away from a real machine can be tricky (but not impossible.) There can be so many safety and hardware inputs and outputs that you must simulate or subvert in someway to do the testing away from the real hardware, that it can be difficult or impossible to be sure that your changes will work correctly at the real machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Oct 2022 09:04 #253659 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Running config without 7i92
I have similar situation.
The hardware (will be) on remote location.
I need specific GUI to make learn/reply motion (the G code is self written on learn phase and then replyed at run phase) and at hardware location is cold, loud, and 1km away from office.
So after 1st build and bench test I will have no hardware in office, but updates will be needed.
So I need to simulate 4 servos and just few switches.

Is it possible to fake mesa card with some python code? I can catch UDP ethernet frames with python so I assume it's possible to have fake hardware.

More
07 Oct 2022 09:10 #253660 by eslavko
Is there some information how ethernet communication is done? Capturing frames should be easy but decoding them is not.

More
07 Oct 2022 10:23 #253666 by macsddau@linuxcnc
For testing my router without being connected to it I create a specific postgui hal file where I disconnect signals from hardware pins (unlinkp) and set signals to a fixed appropriate value (sets). This methode may be adapted to your configuration.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Oct 2022 11:16 #253669 by eslavko

For testing my router without being connected to it I create a specific postgui hal file where I disconnect signals from hardware pins (unlinkp) and set signals to a fixed appropriate value (sets). This methode may be adapted to your configuration.

Nice idea.
But this to work  I think commenting all loadrt, addf, setp (with mesa hardware) is necessary too.
For feedbacks then even simple python userspace module can be made ...
Not so bad, but every time upgrade is made the hal file need to be edited.

More
07 Oct 2022 11:51 #253673 by daiman444
there was some activity in the discussion.
all options are workable and are used here or there, but these are huge crutches. The config setup for LPT works fine without LPT even in a virtual machine, even on any laptop.

More
07 Oct 2022 12:19 - 07 Oct 2022 12:20 #253680 by Todd Zuercher
It would be simpler to build a simular simulation config that doesn't use the mesa hardware drivers at all (such as a parallel port simulation config). There already ready are hal components specifically for simulating a parallel port config, and I think they also have the capability of using faux pin names that can directly replace and work in the original configuration. It might not take much to either press that simulation component into service simulating Mesa hardware, or to use it as a template for writing a new hal component that can.

Still it isn't a small or completely simple task to write a fully functional simulation. Probably an order of magnitude greater difficulty than writing the original machine config.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2022 12:20 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds