Will there be more configs available for PnCConf?

More
27 Apr 2014 20:49 #46372 by akb1212
I have a 5i25 with a 7i77 and a 7i74. I bought these several years ago so I wasn't expecting this not to be in the standard available configs. And I have to admit, I don't have much hope of making this work without this wizard. So this means I'm quite stuck here.

I have upgraded to 2.5.4, and have used the automated script made by bogie640 to update the available configs to include 5i25. But this is of no use if the other cards I have isn't there.

I also have the 7i84 card. But also this is nowhere to be seen in the available configs. Not sure if I saw the 7i73 card, but I have that too. I want to make a pendant, and I have encoders and everything else needed.

My mill has 32 inputs and 32 outputs (24V), and I need all of them (my ATC is using a lot of them, and I fully intend to keep that!). So this is the hardware I need to run my mill. I didn't expect not to be able to use it because it wasn't supported by the software wizard. I know there was no wizard at all earlier. Which is also why I didn't even contemplate on using LinuxCNC for my mill until it came out. So for me as well as many other this wizard is the key to make me want to make an attempt at using LinuxCNC. There is no way I would try without it. And I need Mesa hardware, I wouldn't even consider paraport only. Besides my mill is +/-10V.

So far I haven't even been able to start LinuxCNC, except in sim mode which is of no interest.

I'm very new to this side of Linux (or most sides of Linux really), so I don't expect to be able to make it work without this wizard. I just hope there is a way to add these hardware configurations to the wizard as well. Or is there a way I as an unskilled Linux user could upgrade the wizard with the correct files to add the hardware I have? A step by step guide would possibly work. Without that there is no way though.....

Would anyone be willing to make an upgrade guide for the wizard to enable users to add whatever Mesa hardware they have?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2014 10:28 #46416 by cmorley
Unfortunately adding cards / firmware takes a fair amount of time and exchanging of info to accomplish.
I don't have a 7i84 card to test with so would require a printout of the pin names from some one who does.

I see that Peter has added XML file on his web site - I will check that pncconf is happy with them.

Chris M

More
28 Apr 2014 11:20 #46417 by cmorley
The 7i77x7i74 is a firmware that is beyond what pncconf can currently configure.
It uses 2 channels (ports?) of sserial - pncconf can only understand one.

bottom line is - not gonna happen in linuxcnc 2.5 or 2.6 versions.

More
28 Apr 2014 14:56 #46420 by cncbasher
if your willing to supply the connection details as you go , then i'm prepared to assist . and help
send me an email direct as in my profile , etc .. although do bear in mind i'm in the UK .

using pncconf is not for every config on the planet , it really is just to get you going and learning the basics . and really would be a good way to start
although it can be a seemingly daunting task. it is quite easy .

what you can do is use pncconf for the basic configuration , and then learn to hand edit each part you do into the complete program
the main parts such as servo's and spindle drive etc along with limits you can do with pncconf now , it's only adding extra gpio pins that you need to add , and thats only adding
one or 2 lines to the config once your at that stage

once you have done this with some help to get you going , i have no doubt you'll be off with a flying start , and be able to ask for assistance as you go

Dave

More
28 Apr 2014 19:21 - 28 Apr 2014 19:23 #46427 by BigJohnT
I would use the wizard to get the 5i25 7i77 set up and test that part. The rest is just I/O so it is just one I/O at a time to set up. With a working configuration and all the cards plugged in and powered up (the 7i77 for sure needs field power on) run your configuration and open a terminal and issue the following commands:
halcmd show pin > pins.txt
halcmd show param > parameters.txt
halcmd show sig > signals.txt

Now in your home directory you have a list of all the pins, parameters and signals. With this list you can copy and past each I/O as you connect them up.

Editing your hal file is simpler than navigating the wizard and uses a couple of simple commands to do everything.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/basic_hal.html

JT
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 19:23 by BigJohnT.

More
29 Apr 2014 16:52 #46468 by akb1212
JT, I tried those commands, but nothing was shown. Could be me not doing things correct in Linux though...

I'm not sure why 2 channels would be a problem.... When I configure my 7i77 it has 3 smart serial interfaces.... Only one I can choose what to configure for though.... and to top that up my 7i84 wasn't one of the available cards on that drop-down. But one of the available options was a 7i77...

When looking at that channel (I think it was sserial 3) I found only the digital I/O of the 7i77. I think that is mapped identical to how the 7i84 is. Could I use that to configure my 7i84 then?

And I still have the problem with no available PWM generators. I can configure them to be related to the axes though. Only I'm unable to configure the number of them in the first page.

And when I made it show the available pins I saw no analogue (or PWM) outputs. Only encoder inputs and general digital I/O. I haven’t tested if there is analogue voltage on the outputs if I force it to output a voltage. This is mostly because I don't know how to do that. Is there an easy way to command it to output a specified voltage on the pwm outputs so I can attach my voltmeter and verify they are available and working? There will be nothing attached to these outputs (except from the voltmeter) so it should be safe.

I think I will make a temporary setup to check my digital I/O as well. Now that I know there is communication with the cards I think this is the next step. The question is if I'm able to make that work with the 7i84.....

Will the 7i84 just show up its pins if I use the config PCW posted? For now I get a red LED no matter where I attach that card. I have switched field power to fieldB input now, still no luck.

More
29 Apr 2014 17:28 #46470 by BigJohnT

JT, I tried those commands, but nothing was shown. Could be me not doing things correct in Linux though...

Now in your home directory you have a list of all the pins, parameters and signals. With this list you can copy and past each I/O as you connect them up.

I think you forgot to look for the files pins.txt, parameters.txt and signals.txt in your home directory.

JT

More
27 Jul 2014 17:35 #49182 by vre
Is there any PnCConf xml file for 5i24 to config simple firmwares like SVST8_4 or PnCConf is only for 5i25 ?

More
27 Jul 2014 20:52 #49184 by PCW
As long as you dont do any live tests you should be able to lie to pncconf
and say you have a 5I23 and then globally replace 5I23 with 5I24 in the ini and hal files
(the connector names may be wrong but as lonf ans you adhere to the GPIO bit order
theres no real difference in the hal/ini files other than the card name )
The following user(s) said Thank You: vre

More
28 Jul 2014 00:45 #49190 by vre
Where can i find 5i23 xml for PnCConf ?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds