5i24 Not showing in drop down for board selection

More
09 Sep 2017 16:53 #98738 by rickjmain
I have a mesa 5i24 board that I would like to use, but it is not showing up in the drop down list on PnCConf. I updated to LinuxCNC 2.7.11 last night, I even did full removal of the software and the HM2 drivers and reinstalled. Is there something special I have to do make this work? Last spring I had messed around with LinuxCNC and this board, and had to do a bunch of manual editing to make the board run off of a modified 5i23 file. The downside to this all the hand typed changes have to be redone every time a change is made in PnCConf, and I would like to avoid it. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2017 21:25 #98747 by rodw
The Mesa environment go too complex for pncconf to keep up with. Your best option is to stop using it and learn how to edit your hal and ini files yourself.

I'e seen so many people get into trouble trying to persevere with pncconf.

More
14 Sep 2017 07:13 #98934 by andypugh
Sorry, but RodW is largely correct. Your best bet is still to create a 5i23 config, edit to be 5i24 and the take ownership of the HAL and INI files and not let pncconf touch them again.

Once you get the hang of HAL editing the files to get what you know you want is better than trying to trick the config wizard into creating the config you want. But the Wizards are useful for making a nearly-correct functional config structure with all the required files.

More
28 Nov 2021 15:20 #227816 by Andreas_Rackow
Does that apply for a 7i90 too?
Just run pncconf pick the 7i43 from the dropdown menu and rename it?
(both communicate over EPP) and then edit the HAL and INI files to my needs?
During the configuration, I will have to pick a bit file for the7i43,will the 7i90 run with that bit file?
Sorry, I bring this old thread back to live, but I had just the same question just with another card

More
28 Nov 2021 17:06 #227821 by PCW
You need 7I90 firmware for the 7I90, and the 7I90
is different in that you do not specify the 7I90 firmware
in the hal file but instead the 7I90, needs to be programmed
with the desired firmware before use. This programming is done
with the mesaflash utility and only needs to be done once.

You could use a hal file for a 7I43 if you change the card name
and driver name.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds