Where is the axis.ini file for standalone NGCGUI?

More
21 Jan 2014 10:00 #43048 by rggrieger
Hi:

I have the standalone ngcgui running OK on my computer. Th embedded ngsgui runs OK using axis.ini as distributed with Linuxcnc v2.5.3. When I try to edit axis.ini for subroutines it crashes the program. I would like to try editing the standalone axis.ini to see if I can show the buttons on the screen, etc.

Where is the error log for ngcgui so I can fix the errors? I do get an error report when I have the Linuxcnc running but did see a location of the error log on the display unless I missed it.

I am using Dewey Garrett's and other forum comments on the axis.ini file and the file directory structure for ngcgui.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2014 10:32 #43049 by cmorley
start linuxcnc from a terminal.
most pertinent to what you are doing debug messages should be printed there.

post the errors.
you might post your modified ini file too.

Chris M

More
22 Jan 2014 01:47 #43058 by rggrieger
Hi Chris

I think I made some progress. I copied a working axis.ini file from other of my users and it run OK for me but it did not have the NGCGUI changes. I gradually added the ngcgui changes and did not receive any errors. I did not see any NGCGUI buttons on the screen nor were there any additions to the File, Machine or View lists. I can not find any errors in PROGRAM_PREFIX = ~/linuxcnc/tmp/tmpngc folder.

I did not see any error displays for faulty path references in my testing of axis.ini.

DEBUG = 0 and I have not found any info on debug to set so it prints out errors.

I attached ngcgui excepts from my axis.ini file. It show NGCGUI_SUBFILEs for relative and absolute paths for file names.

I do have the standalone NGCGUI working.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

More
22 Jan 2014 02:18 #43064 by Rick G
You might want to look at one of the NGCGUI sample configs included with linuxcnc and here....

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/ngcgui.html

Rick G

More
22 Jan 2014 03:46 #43065 by rggrieger
Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply. I looked through the doc but no luck fixing my axis.ini. I also looked at ini files in axis but they do not have the NGCGUI changes. It would be helpful if there was a folder in axis with working axis.ini files in it.

Please include in a reply a copy of a complete axis.ini that actually works so I can try it in my system. A published working copy of axis.ini will do as well. I do understand why a working copy is not included in the NGCGUI distribution.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

More
22 Jan 2014 06:36 #43067 by dgarrett
In 2.5.3 ngcgui demo programs are found by the configuration picker at:

Sample Configurations/sim/ngcgui

In the development version (git master), the axis-based ngcgui configurations are currently at:

Sample Configurations/sim/axis/ngcgui

and other examples at:

Sample Configurations/sim/touchy/ngcgui
Sample Configurations/sim/gscreen/ngcgui

More
22 Jan 2014 14:33 #43072 by Rick G
As dgarrett said depending on the version linuxcnc you are running there should be sample configs included.
Here is one of them...

Rick G
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2014 03:14 #43088 by rggrieger
Hi:

I read the references. I finally have the LinuxCNC with and w/o NGCGUI working. I put together a drawing of part of the LinuxCNC DB, see attachment, that has helped me understand the write ups and examples. At first it was unclear to me that the DB structure was fixed and I changed my user DB which made it difficult for me to get my axis.ini working.

In working with the online screens I noticed the selection of machines and the coupling between the screen names and the DB folder names. This led me to see the corresponding "axis.ini" names relating to the machine/example names. I wondered where the axis.ini files were for these screens and found them in the DB, i.e., Folder Options.

The NGCGUI example axis.ini file is easier to understand because the [RS274NGC] section, which lists the library paths, is placed above the [DISPLAY] that has the files listed that need the path.

Adding Readme text files to each folder will help me avoid confusion (and lots of errors). I like to put like data in only one folder so that I know where to find it. It bothers me when the literature casually mentioned the same ngc and tcl are in several different folders. (Sounds like the old spaghetti coding problem. )

Thanks for all your help,
Bob

More
23 Jan 2014 22:00 #43105 by rggrieger
Hi:

I redid my linuxcnc DB structure diagram, a gedit text file, and hopefully it is attached. ) I have not seen my attachments on this forum.)

The diagram is only for the My Configurations > sim > axis > axis configuration. I added to the top of the diagram excepts from axis.ini page to show the relationship between the axis.ini file and the DB.

I have been reading all the docs and refs mentioned above in this forum responses and I appreciate everyone's interest in helping me.

Thanks,
Bob

More
24 Jan 2014 13:39 - 24 Jan 2014 13:43 #43120 by rggrieger
Hi:

I made up some tables and notes for myself to further understand the relationship between the "axis.ini" parameters and the DB. It is not a consistent picture. I copied and pasted the page as well as try to make it as an attachment.

Bob

file:
1/23/2014 Bob G Grieger

LinuxCNC
Machine PROGRAM_PREFIX
My Config *.ini Name File Name NGCGUI_SUBFILE

Standalone ngcgui

/ My Configurations
| / sim
| | / axis
| | | / axis axis.ini EMC-HAL-SIM-AXIS nc_files *.ngc, *.png
| | |
| |
| | / ngcgui
| | | / ngcgui ngcgui.ini Ngcgui-demo nc_files *.ngc, *.png
| | | |
| |
| | / ngcgui-1
| | | / ngcgui-1 ngcgui_simple.ini Ngcgui-demo nc_files *.ngc, *.png
| | | |

NGCGUI_SUBFILES as of 1/23/2014 that are listed above the part display image box.

|
*.ini
| |--- LinuxCNC Title Page --|
*.ini page axis ncggui ngcgui-1 axis ncggui ngcgui-1 nc-FILES

NGCGUI_SUBFILE = arc2.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = db25.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = gosper.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = ihex.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = iquad.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = qpex.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = qpocket.ngc N Y N N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = simp.ngc N N Y N N N Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = xyz.ngc N Y Y N Y Y Y
NGCGUI_SUBFILE = "" (custom page) N N N N Y Y N
TTT = truetype-tracer N Y N N Y Y N
TTT_PREAMBLE = in_std.ngc N Y N N Y Y N

Notes:
1. Columns to the right of *.ini are parameters in *.ini.
2. Machine Name is the title of the LinuxCNC display page. Two machines have the same Machine Name
therefore user does not know which *.ini applies the the machine based on the displayed machine title.
3. Configurations ngcgui and ngcgui-1 do not have axis.ini so what are the correct ini files?
4. Standard *.ngc and *.png and users are not are in nc_file folder. Users part files are in mfiles folder.
5. ~/linuxcnc/configs/sim/axis.ini does not have any part *.ngc or *.png files in this directory. There are no
part buttons on the title page, which is correct.
6. Ngcgui.ini may not be the proper file for this machine and if not what is the proper page.
7. Ngcgui_simple.ini may not be the proper file for this machine and if not what is the proper page.
8. Either ngcgui.ini and ngcgui_simple.ini and/or the my DB maybe incorrect.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 13:43 by rggrieger. Reason: Copy and paste of gedit file does not preserve spacing.

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds