Any final solution for MaxNC Open Loop?

More
07 Nov 2015 05:21 #64930 by catacluj
Dear Sirs,
I found a few threads about getting the MaxNC to work with LinuxCNC but didn't find a final solution.
I'm a newbie and was able to use the mill with the DOS program but would like to move to LinuxCNC.
I installed it (2.6) on a laptop and started to read but all places I found mention Step/Direction which the MaxNC isn't.
I'm hoping if someone got it to work they would post some configutation files and a short "how-to".
I know there are certain things that depend on my specific PC (latency) but pinout, steps/inch and many other should be the same.

Help?

Also... why no shutdown button? I know this is Linux but I thought it's supposed to be for... laymen not so concerned with security as this shouldn't be ones' everyday PC. Maybe it's just me but I think it could be made friendlier :-)
Sorry if I'm going the wrong way here; like I said; I'm a newbie :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2015 15:06 #64950 by ArcEye
Hi

To save anyone tempted to answer having to do all the research you presumably did, perhaps you could post links to.

Something that details what MAX-NC is

The threads you found that you thought were inconclusive.

regards

More
07 Nov 2015 18:35 - 07 Nov 2015 19:25 #64956 by ArcEye
OK I found MAXNC

www.maxnc.net/product_p/maxnc15.htm

A hugely expensive mini mill, similar to a Sherline.

The price of the accessories are eye watering. $5 for a T nut, $27 for a pair of clamps, $132 for a rubber bellows set!

Open loop is just normal stepper control, so awaiting your links to previous posts.

I installed it (2.6) on a laptop and started to read but all places I found mention Step/Direction which the MaxNC isn't.

Laptop very much sub-optimal, may not work well at all.

Don't understand your assertion that a stepper powered machine does not use step and dir.
Even the closed loop version will use it, just controlled differently, a bit more like a servo.

Also... why no shutdown button?

????????????????

regards
Last edit: 07 Nov 2015 19:25 by ArcEye.

More
09 Nov 2015 15:57 #65020 by andypugh
LinuxCNC has been used to drive a 5-axis Max-NC.

More
09 Nov 2015 17:29 #65026 by catacluj
The reasons I posted the way I did (sorry if wrong):
- MaxNC is "different", if you don't know of it, it's unlikely you can help without more than average effort :-). My hope is with (ex)owners.
- I didn't think it would be helpful to make my post longer by providing links that Google found for me both on LinuxCNC and elsewhere :-)
- The links to previous posts were obtained by searching the forum for "MaxNC":
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/search?query=Ma...l&childforums=1&ids=
- "LinuxCNC has been used to drive a 5-axis Max-NC" shows it can be done but not how or even if with the same driver board.
-- Others do provide some information but it feels too little and in too many places.
-- That's why I'm hoping it can be centralized, maybe actualized (one solution somewhere involves just removing a line that calls some other file that is old; but no explanation what the old file was doing or why it can be just ignored)

- I did not assert "that a stepper powered machine does not use step and dir". I know this one does not from all the reading I've done. In different places they call it "quadrature" or "phase" drive.

RE: Laptop:
- Latency test shows max jitter at arouns 12000ns so from the wiki it should do just well; nothing else is specified anywhere to matter.

Thank youse for taking the time :-)

Cat

More
09 Nov 2015 17:39 #65028 by andypugh

- I did not assert "that a stepper powered machine does not use step and dir". I know this one does not from all the reading I've done. In different places they call it "quadrature" or "phase" drive.

This seems to be the question then.

Yes, LinuxCNC can drive quadrature drives, or drives that require direct phase control:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/rtcomps.html#_stepgen

Scroll down to "Step types"

More
09 Nov 2015 17:58 - 10 Nov 2015 11:10 #65032 by cncbasher
added config for maxnc
should help in getting you going
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 11:10 by cncbasher. Reason: updated files to current ver of linuxcnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: catacluj

More
09 Nov 2015 18:10 #65034 by catacluj
Thank you basher, much appreciated.
It will take me a while to try this as I'm not sure what I should do with the files (being a double-newbie: CNC and Linux) but it seems to be in the right direction.
I think I'll search for files with similar extensions on my PC and... extract these in the same place.

Best,

Cat

More
09 Nov 2015 18:14 #65035 by catacluj
Well Andy, I know it can but looking at "stepgen" I find it intimidating.
Why reinvent the wheel if somebody already did it?
I'm doing all this mainly to get my daughter excited about "making"; I wish I had more time to learn everything from the ground up but I don't.

More
09 Nov 2015 19:16 #65042 by andypugh

I think I'll search for files with similar extensions on my PC and... extract these in the same place.

They go in (your home folder)/linuxcnc/configs

All together in one sub-folder.

Then you can chose the new config from the LinuxCNC config-picker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: catacluj

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds