sinking or sourcing remote enable kollmorgen drive

More
13 Jan 2020 06:09 #154739 by Doug Crews
Hello all.

I would like to get some other eyes on this. I have a new build going i.e. 5i25 with 7i77 and 7i75 BOB. Its similar to the wiki example only I have Kollmorgen CD Servo drives & motors. I’m looking at pin 7 and 8 on connector C3 for 24v power and remote enable. If my understanding of sourcing & sinking is correct it looks like the enable on pin 8 needs to sink on the 7i77 output. But my 7I77 has sourcing outputs. If this true I will need to work around this issue perhaps using the 7I75 BOB and some HAL trickery. This is my first build everything is nearly all wired up on a bench setup, getting ready to run Pncconfig. I've attached a .jpg with some clips from the manual. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 12:39 #154754 by BigJohnT
On my BP knee mill Anilam drives I just used a relay to enable the drives as they needed to be grounded to enable them.

JT

More
13 Jan 2020 13:38 #154756 by PCW
Normally you use the enable outputs on the 7I77 for drive enable. These are floating Optocoupler outputs so can work for sourcing or sinking.

So

Drive pin 8 --> P5 ENAN+ --> P5 ENAN- --> 24VRTN

More
14 Jan 2020 05:02 #154803 by Doug Crews

More
09 Mar 2020 00:50 #159546 by Doug Crews
Hello all,

It’s been a couple of months. I needed to complete the rest of the machine integration before running Pnconfig. I’ve tested the x-axis motor & drive combo using Kollmorgens firmware “MotionLink”. There’s a lot of parameters and tuning variables in those drives, sooo many I decided to try the auto tune function. I believe it got me in the ballpark. The x-axis is stable and I can jog it at a more than reasonable speeds. My thought is to use auto tune function to tune the drives in serial velocity mode, then set the drive to Analog Velocity mode and save all tuning parameters in the drive, then, use linuxcnc to “fine” tune on top of the firmware tuning. Please let me know if this is a path to nowhere!

I’ve just successfully completed Pncconf and am following the initial steps laid out by Tommylight’s How to tune Procedure (very nicely done). I’m working on only X-axis, the encoder equivalent output from the drive seems to be working good, I move the motor shaft and the DRO in linuxcnc responds accordingly. I’m now trying to enable the drive using the F2 keyboard key. But the drive doesn’t enable. I must still be getting something wrong with the wiring even with Peter’s earlier help (see his earlier post). I’ve attached several files hopefully they will help.

And of course, THANKs for the help!. This is a project I’ve been wanting and waiting to do for nearly 18 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: superlen

More
09 Mar 2020 10:52 #159572 by andypugh

My thought is to use auto tune function to tune the drives in serial velocity mode, then set the drive to Analog Velocity mode and save all tuning parameters in the drive, then, use linuxcnc to “fine” tune on top of the firmware tuning. Please let me know if this is a path to nowhere!

No, that sounds right. You need to tune the internal velocity loop in the drives before you can tune the position loop in LinuxCNC. And that is the process you are describing.

More
09 Mar 2020 17:19 #159586 by Doug Crews
Thanks for the confirmation on the tuning. I figured out my problem with the enable. Total noob incident, I didn’t know where the error messages show in Axis, I had the Hal config window on top of it so I could not see the message. I had limit switch error, then I had following error, I've addressed those. I seem to have it enabled now.

thanks

More
11 Mar 2020 02:55 - 11 Mar 2020 03:04 #159743 by superlen
Doug,

Are you controlling the enable with just the Mesa, or are you also adding in any relay logic (as controlled from say an Estop)?

I will be excitedly following your progress as I too am in the middle of wiring up the four Kollmorgen ServoStar CD drives just like yours. I mounted them to the backpanel this evening, and hopefully will have one powered up this weekend.

For the enable, I considered driving it with Estop or just hard wiring it to 24V gnd to always enable and drop out L1/2/3 power with the Estop. Does anyone know if LinuxCNC normally wants to control an enable drive(s) signal?

While I'm not far enough to offer you much advice, I'll add that I came to the same conclusion of using them in velocity mode. My drives should (might) still be in tune as they came on the machine before I got it. I'm hoping I can hook up Motionlink, pull the settings/save & the play with them some before connecting to LinuxCNC. I'll attach one of my Y drive schematics. It's not fleshed completely out, but you may see something useful, or note something that looks like I'm lost. At least it's something that should look familiar to you, and hopefully give you some feedback that you're not alone with the ServoStars.

I'm assuming that you have your encoders wired to C2 (db25) and then are using the C4 (equivalent encoder output) to feed your Mesa card? This is what I have planned, but was wondering if I was on track or not.

Len
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 03:04 by superlen.

More
11 Mar 2020 03:15 - 11 Mar 2020 03:17 #159746 by PCW
Yes LinuxCNC should control the drive enables so it can disable drives when a
following error or other fault is detected. If you have a 7I77, this is normally done
with the ENA+ and ENA- outputs which are a closed circuit when the drive should
be enabled and open when the drive should be disabled. Since the ENA+ and ENA-
outputs are floating switches they can be used for both sourcing and sinking applications

EStop should remove drive power in hardware.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 03:17 by PCW.

More
11 Mar 2020 11:28 #159770 by superlen
Peter.

Thanks for the feedback. That makes perfect sense about the enable. I'm using your 7i93 with a 7i33TA (quad servo out) & 7i47 (12 ch RS-422 IO). I see the 5V enable output on the 7i33. I'm making an interface board for some of the RS-422 IO so I'll add some optos to interface the 4 7i33 enables as well.

Thanks again.

Len

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds