What input should I use for a probe fault.

More
08 Jul 2020 23:56 #174042 by oldtech
I'm building an experimental probe that will have the ability to fault if too much force is applied to it. So I need a way to halt motion when this occurs in order to limit damage to the probe. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2020 07:55 #174065 by tommylight
What type of output will it have for overload ? Analogue or digital?
Digital is easy to do in hal, analogue would require some type of Mesa or analogue to digital converter.

More
09 Jul 2020 09:40 #174078 by rodw
If you connect your probe to motion.probe−input , it will halt motion when its triggered. If you want to measure force, thats a different kettle of fish!

More
09 Jul 2020 16:23 #174105 by oldtech
Thanks. I should have added more details. I'm using Linux Mint with a Mesa 5i25/7i76 and I'm still the process of building out my control box and adding new features. I should also add that I'm connecting to a cnc router (a Millrightcnc Power Route). I'm retired with a background in system and application software mostly on Windows.

The probe will only have analog inputs and outputs. Yes, I know that the probe will stop on contact but since there is always some overshoot I'm adding an internal limit signal. If successful, I'm planning on mounting the probe to a sub-z-axis so that it is always available and does not require a tool change.

So it sounds like I simply need to connect the internal limit signal to a custom analog input and then connect that pin to E-Stop.

I should emphasize that the probe is very much in a conceptual state with a goal to have an accuracy of 0.01mm.

More
09 Jul 2020 21:17 - 09 Jul 2020 21:18 #174141 by rodw
A couple of problems.

Linuxcnc does not really have a method to receive an analog input. If the the 7i76 is like the 7i76e there is a mode to enable some analog voltage inputs but its not particularly accurate.

With Plasma machines we use the encoder input with a bit file that converts the mesa encoder input into 3 x Encoder A inputs which then support 3 x THCAD voltage to frequency boards that is decoded from the encoder count back to a voltage. But you need the encoder for your spindle. You might be able to use the software encoder component.

Estop will need a bit output pin not a float. You might like to look at the sourcecode for the ohmic component in master branch for inspiration.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/ohmic.9.html
It might work for you as is. Its purpose is to take a voltage from a THCAD and generate a probe output with hysteresis.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2020 21:18 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldtech

More
09 Jul 2020 21:33 #174142 by tommylight
This should do just fine for that
www.ti.com/product/LM331

More
09 Jul 2020 21:46 #174145 by oldtech
The 7i76 has 8 analog inputs and I'm successfully using 3 for limit/home switches.

More
09 Jul 2020 22:05 #174148 by tommylight

The 7i76 has 8 analog inputs and I'm successfully using 3 for limit/home switches.

7i76 should have 4 analogue inputs when set to mode 2, not 8, but in any case double check that.

More
09 Jul 2020 22:11 #174149 by tommylight

That reminds me, you should have mentioned you have an 7i76 in the first post, wasted 10 minutes looking where did i put those LM331 chips as i have 3 of them in a box waiting for some quality time ..... :)

More
09 Jul 2020 22:20 #174150 by rodw

Yes, you need to change modes to use as analog inputs. If you don't they are normal digital inputs. I use them for home/limits too.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds