Can a static phase converter be used to supply power to the controler only

More
03 Dec 2022 16:10 #258435 by new2linux
My hope this is an acceptable area to ask a question about Fanuc controllers. Recently I have accepted delivery of a SuperMax 25"x16"x24" bed mill. This was built 1995 with the Fanuc O-MC controller (Alpha Series, AC type of control), 5.5Kw (7.5Kw 30min max) spindle.
My question is about power supplied to the mill, specially if possible to use a static phase converter (vs. rotational phase converter) to supply power to the controller only. My hope is to use a single phase, hi-speed spindle, mounted in the BT-40 taper in the spindle, disconnect the 5.5Kw motor. The parts have small details requiring .031 diameter tools, in aluminum.

Many thanks in advance for help with this. All suggestions warmly welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2022 18:24 #258521 by cakeslob
Its been a while since I did one, but I think that will explicitly not work. A static phase converter without the motor would just be single phase and some capacitors. I would wait to see if you need true 3 phase at the controller. Generally the controllers dont "need" 3 phase, just the servo amps do, and when the servo amps do "need" 3 phase, they really dont, as it get converted from 220v 3phase AC, to DC, and then back to 3phase AC again.

If you are removing the spindle, you can take the old spindle motor, and use the static converter, and make a rotary converter from the old 3 phase spindle motor
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
05 Dec 2022 00:29 #258546 by new2linux
cakeslob, thank you for your suggestion. I have a set of manuals & electrical diagrams that came with the mill. I do not intend to remove the motor, or the spindle because there is nothing wrong with it, I plane to use the 40 BT tool taper as a place to mount the high-speed spindle.
Several years ago, I built a rotary converter, if possible I would like to stay away from the rotary converter. I can understand the DC servo motor style, would seem less complex, or maybe DC is what I am more familiar with and that's why.
I wonder being a Fanuc will have the potential "error code" issues that may not allow any easy way around this?
cakeslob, many thanks for your suggestions!

More
15 Dec 2022 20:05 #259575 by Todd Zuercher
As was alluded to nothing in most conventional modern CNC machines "requires" 3 phase. The control itself runs off of low voltage (24v) DC. The Fanuc servos run off of high voltage DC, and the spindle is running off of an inverter (which is also internally running off of high voltage DC.). If you can fool the servo's power-supply into running off single phase without setting alarms off, you should be home free.

More
16 Dec 2022 15:01 #259641 by new2linux
Todd, Many thanks for your thoughts. The electrical manual shows the "control voltage diagram" 110/220 VAC and where it is connected. Attached are 3 diagrams showing the T202 transformer, and where it's located.
Can I just find the wires to the spindle motor and disconnect them?
What or how would you approach this?

All suggestions warmly welcomed. Many thanks
Attachments:

More
21 Dec 2022 01:41 #259991 by cakeslob
Probably find out what w2,4,5, and 8 are, and then you might need to fool some alarms on either w12 or w3, but go inside the box and see what the part numbers are on the drives/amps, as it will shed more light on if you can/cant.

Looking at page 6.2 CONTROL VOLTAGE, at T202, I dont know what all the symbols mean, but is the transformer even hooked up to 3 phases? Looks like its only connected at T1 R1 and E, which would just be 220v single?

More
21 Dec 2022 14:53 #260015 by new2linux
cakeslob, thank you for your suggestions!! I have (not shore, I am correct) the power supply module apart looking for "part numbers are on the drives/amps" or am I to have the servo amplifier apart looking for the "part numbers are on the drives/amps"? This pic is of the power supply, you see the components to the left & right side of the JX1B socket.

The transformer has 2 wires on the 220 volt location in the electrical cabinet.

Many thanks for your help, all suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Attachments:

More
21 Dec 2022 16:15 #260023 by new2linux
cakeslob, thank you! These are pics from the servo amplifier module. Both of the modules are built like a sandwich, there are PCB (printed circuit board) on both sides all the components are in the middle, so on the outside are all the solder connections can't see much. This is the best pic, describe what components you need to know more about and I will get a number or better pic.Many, many thanks!! 
Attachments:

More
22 Dec 2022 10:14 #260067 by andypugh

cakeslob, thank you! These are pics from the servo amplifier module. Both of the modules are built like a sandwich, there are PCB (printed circuit board) on both sides all the components are in the middle

Cordwood Construction, it's rather old-school. 
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_bo...ordwood_construction

More
23 Dec 2022 01:10 #260130 by cakeslob
Sorry, it just occurred to me that you probably have more schematics, just post some more of those for the spindle/servo and stuff.

I get so angry thinking about my rotary phase converter and how my robot is powered

220v from the house ----> large 3phase motor rotary phase converter 220v3ph ----> robot power supply to 208v --> converted to DC --> converted back to 3phase ac to the servos

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds