Chat GPT and code translation

More
22 Feb 2023 01:34 #265001 by my1987toyota
So for over a month Chat GPT has been all the rage . Good , Bad and everywhere in between. I have wondered though
has anyone used it to do code translation say from JAVA to C++? Or are their programs anyone has used that does that
already?  If so how usable were the results?

And how does one appease our new Skynet overlord's. LOL just kidding 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2023 02:14 #265003 by tommylight
From what i can gather, microshaft has already crippled it, badly.
They have become a f@king black hole, sucking everything and killing it. Nokia and over 200 other companies.
I have never played with it, i got tired of creating accounts for every damn thing, so whenever i see "register" i run the other way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
22 Feb 2023 10:03 #265023 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Chat GPT and code translation
ChatGpt can be quite uesful but you need to know enough to know if its right or wrong! It gave me 4 different answers for one enginereing problem when I wanted to know the motor power required on an axis.

But I had a conversation with it recently asking it to write an interrupt diven  hardware stepping routine an ARM CPU. Then I asked if it would change if it it was using the PREEMPT_RT kernel and it came up with this
Warning: Spoiler!

I'm not saying its right but its a good framework to work with for our purposes. I am envisaging this could be incorporated into a component that sets all the prarameters and linuxcnc would give it the desired veolcity in real time....
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota, hairy

More
22 Feb 2023 23:18 #265076 by Grotius
I use it too, and i learn from it. Sometimes it gives wrong answer, but most of the time it can help you with ideas.
It will not be free for ever i guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, my1987toyota

More
23 Feb 2023 00:28 #265080 by my1987toyota
True . It may not be free forever . However If I have learned anything from diving into Linux it's that
sooner or later their will be an opensourse version that will work every bit as well if someone takes the time 
to learn it and work with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
24 Feb 2023 04:31 #265201 by cakeslob
its not free now, and it hasnt been for a while. my friend and I have been on it for a since last summer.

text-divinci2 im pretty sure is just a net scraper and feeds results from github, so the more times you reload, you can get better results. This one is good for easy shit like homework, fakenews, and offensive fanfiction. I think this is the one the new media picked up on last month. I think it became free or open beta or something around then.

codex-divinci2 is still in beta but you need to register and apply with them to get access. This is the one that does actual code generation .It can do live coding, coding explanation, conversion, and all the other complicated coding shit because its using another or different part of the ai, but its not exactly free, but they cost noticeably more than text-divinci2 which is pennies.

give me a good prompt for something in codex and ill run it through if its not too expensive (expensive is a relative term). The prompts have a strong effect on the outcome but also a strong effect on the price, so the bigger the prompt is more money , same with the results. luckily if the prompt syntax is wrong it wont go through. says it works best with python.

platform.openai.com/docs/guides/code/introduction

More
24 Feb 2023 06:53 #265204 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Chat GPT and code translation
ChatGPT was only released in November and its still free for me. chat.openai.com/chat
I use it quite a bit to help me with various problems. But it never a one shot process. It is a conversation. 
Today I used it to produce a product description from bullet points from the supplier for my website. It excels where I suck when writing the metadata description and keywords that are for Google's eyes only. I ask for a full product description and summary description and basically just cut and pasted te results. Here is what it came up with: www.vmn.com.au/efs-xcape-bar-to-suit-mit...o-sport-qf-2019.html
A couple of products that It has written for me that have been indexed by Google rank in the top 5 for relevant keywords after just a week or so. I also used it today to do examples of schema markup that I passed on to my developer to get done for the Google Gods... This was a subject I knew a bit about  and it was very quick and efficient to get detail of a pretty complex topic in a couple of minutes.

One of the first days I was using it, I asked it to produce a 500 word paper outlining the difference between Bos Indicus and Bos Taurus cattle breeds and to summarise the suitability of each in the differing climate and soil types found in Queensland Australia just for fun. It did a pretty good job but the content was somewhat thin. It would have got a pass, but not a distinction! I was quite amazed really.

More
25 Feb 2023 02:26 #265302 by cakeslob
chatGPT was released in november, but GPT3 has been around for a while. Its still free as in beer but this is likely marketing related as every other thing they provide is a paid service. ChatGPT is a conversation, which seems tedious, but the other ai models are not chatbot based, they take an input and give you the output. Its all the same ai shit, but one is trained to chat

actually its easier if i ask divinvi3

explain the difference between chatgpt and codex in terms of coding

ChatGPT is an automated conversation engine powered by natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) algorithms. It enables developers to create conversational AI applications and services without the need for coding. It takes the complexity out of building conversational applications, allowing developers to focus on the user experience and content.

Codex is a code-based tool for building conversational applications. It enables developers to create chatbots and other conversational applications using coding. Developers can use Codex to create custom dialogues, build conversations with natural language processing, and integrate AI-powered components into their applications. Codex provides a library of components to help developers quickly build powerful conversational applications.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
10 Mar 2023 19:51 #266326 by tommylight
Spammer booted and banned, please do not click on links made from new users, this one was linking to a suspicious chatgpt site, not the original.
Poster was from Pakistan with a single post.

More
12 Mar 2023 22:24 #266521 by my1987toyota
Thanks tommylight. I swear this stuff gets ridiculous sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds