Ubuntu precise 12.04 - error inserting hm2_pci.ko

More
11 Feb 2014 02:04 #43715 by jtc
Hi.

Today I spend all time to try install linuxcnc on ubuntu 12.04. Now I'm getting this error:

I don't know what to do, I create and copy the firmware folder from a working configuration to this version, but it don't work.

Thanks,

João Tiago
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2014 03:38 - 11 Feb 2014 04:37 #43720 by ArcEye
The error suggests that the kernel module was compiled for another version, kernel or with another version of gcc (most likely one of the first two)

The kernel modules are not the same thing as firmware xml's and binaries and are not transferable.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 04:37 by ArcEye.

More
11 Feb 2014 05:11 - 11 Feb 2014 05:12 #43725 by jtc
so, I have to compile hm2_pci.c? and copy hm2_pci.ko to .../linuxcnc-dev/rtlib ?
Last edit: 11 Feb 2014 05:12 by jtc.

More
11 Feb 2014 16:56 #43742 by ArcEye
Hi

I have no idea how you got to the stage where you get errors, whether you have installed a deb from the buildbot, built from sources or what
The directory you mention suggests possibly sources, but that is a guess

It should be part of a normal build along with hm2_7i43.ko and hm2_test.ko.
It is the firmware that is normally requires a seperate download

All the mesa files are in .../src/hal/drivers/mesa-hostmot2
The should have all built.

You will have to give a lot more info re version, branch and exactly what you are doing for me to assist any further

regards

More
11 Feb 2014 20:07 #43749 by jtc
So, this is the situation. I install ubuntu 12.04 from a 32bit iso downloaded on the ubuntu page. after that I followed this tutorial:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_On_Ubuntu_Precise

and used the masters-rt version

If I try to use a mesa configuration I get this error. (build-bot installation)

I have a copy of a run in place configuration(masters) from ubuntu 10, and it was compiled on ubuntu 12. if I try to run this I get this same error...

We will try to install again on ubuntu 12.

João

More
11 Feb 2014 21:49 #43757 by jtc
OK.

in a new partition we install ubuntu 12.04, and install linuxcnc following the tutorial. I tried to run mesa plasma 5i20 example configuration. after solve the "RTAPI: Locked memory limit is 64KiB, recommended at least 20480KiB." error, I get the same error:

Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2014 22:16 #43759 by ArcEye
What do the last 20 lines of dmesg say after you get this error?

I have just run the plasma config and the error I am getting is because I do not have a Mesa card, so the driver just exits again, but it does load.

More
12 Feb 2014 00:54 #43763 by BigJohnT
I'm just wondering is there some reason to try and use 12.04?

JT

More
12 Feb 2014 01:35 - 12 Feb 2014 01:36 #43767 by jtc
I have just run the plasma config and the error I am getting is because I do not have a Mesa card, so the driver just exits again, but it does load.[/quot

the error is that could not find the firmware, we manage to copy the firmware folders an it runs mesa plasma.

so we do try to do the same in the old ubuntu 12 partition, but got a diferent error, like in the first picture...

so now we will try to run the run in place configuration on the new partition and compile again, and at least, find where is the problem....

JT, its because the touch screen support, we can´t make work the lg flatron t1710 touchscreen that is on the machine...
Last edit: 12 Feb 2014 01:36 by jtc.

More
12 Feb 2014 01:51 #43771 by ArcEye
Ok

That is progress at least.
So you CAN run the plasma config, once the firmware was installed.

I am pretty sure that the first error you had is because you tried copying across modules from a build on a different kernel and/or linuxcnc version

Building a RIP should just work, but check first that the gcc version is 4.6.x not 4.7.x
4.7 has a bug regards x86 code and will fail to build Linuxcnc with various errors

It should be, but it is easy to end up installing Ubuntu 12.11 instead of 12.04 and they started using it there

You will also probably get errors about missing includes in /usr/include/bits ./asm ./gnu ./sys etc
This is because they were moved to /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/
Either symlink them back to the /usr/include folder or just copy them there, it is not much file size wise

regards

Time to create page: 0.797 seconds