linux preempt and mesa ethernet card

More
17 Oct 2015 23:58 #63872 by johannbuck
I have ordered a Asrock Q 1900 B ITX and I'm going to try a mesa Ethernet card with it. From what I have found out
so far I need a preempt version of linuxcnc. This seems to be it: Linux-image-4.2.0-1-686-pae_4.2.3-2_i 386.deb. .

It's not an ISO file so how do I install that. Do I need to install another linuxcnc first and then update to the preempt version ?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2015 00:22 #63874 by cncbasher

More
18 Oct 2015 00:54 #63875 by johannbuck
I'm guessing here: I need to install debian wheezy 2.7 first, which is RTAI, and then update to preempt rt?

More
18 Oct 2015 01:04 #63876 by grub
If the preconfigured *.iso doesn't work for you (it totally should), or you try to build your own system for whatever reasons, this thread might help: linuxcnc.org/index.php/german/forum/9-in...ssieq-and-linuxcnc27
There are also a number of posts here on how to install from the *.iso if there are any issues with regards to that. Also note that there are plenty of ways for creating a bootable usb-drive if your PC doesn't have a CD/DVD drive to boot from.

More
18 Oct 2015 01:11 - 18 Oct 2015 01:45 #63878 by grub
You don't have to install wheezy first and update to the RT/Preempt kernel (that will still work, but) the aforementioned image from cncbasher is wheezy 2.7 with a RT (RTAI) kernel. So everything is already pre-configured. Linux CNC both supports RTAI and RT/Preempt as RT kernels. According to this thread ( here ) RTAI typically has lower latency than Preempt-RT which is usually only important for software step generation and with RT/Preempt only being supported starting from LinuxCNC2.7 onwards.

Just install Wheezy/LinuxCNC from the *.iso and you are ready to roll. Well, you will still have to configure your CNC machine, but that's the way it is.

Bascially all you have to do is to:
1. Download the *.iso here: www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso
2. Make the image bootable by either burning it to a DVD or installing it to a flash-drive with a program like UUI: www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
3. Boot the image on your new computer.
If you are unsure on whether or not to really install the system you can still use the live mode to try if everything is working as you hope it is or not. Just make sure to save the settings when working with the live system as you will lose them when going for the "full install" afterwards.

Hope that helped.
Sorry for the double post. By the time I finished my response you already had another one.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 01:45 by grub.

More
18 Oct 2015 01:40 #63879 by johannbuck
I have no trouble installing debian wheezy 2.7 from linuxcnc which is RTAI, for mesa Ethernet card I need Linux image preempt rt .
That is a deb file and I do not know how to install it.

More
18 Oct 2015 01:52 - 18 Oct 2015 02:32 #63880 by grub
Okay, got the problem. So basically your Ethernet card is not supported by RTAI but RT/Preempt, as the pre-configured image only comes with a RTAI you need to change the kernel module.
If that is the case and in order to change to kernel you will have to (can also be found under the link of my first post, here or here starting at 7.1):

1. Install the Preempt-RT kernel and module:
In order to allocate the RT kernel in the repository in termial enter:
synaptic
(to launch the synaptic packet manager, this can also be done via the Menu -> Settings -> Synaptic...)
Search for "linux-image-rt", you should either find the ...-rt-am64 or ...-rt-686-pae release, if that is not the case you will have to add a new repository.
In Synaptic click on "Settings -> Repositories" now add a new source with the following settings (counldn't test it, but if if it doesn't work in default try "archive" or something among those lines):
Binary (deb); Address: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian; Distribution: wheezy; Section: archive

To check whether everything worked out use the Synaptic -> Search and type: "linux-image-rt" you should either find the ...-rt-amd64 or ...-rt-686-pae release.

Back in terminal run:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-amd64
or
sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-686-pae
(or install directly in Synaptic)

2. Reboot (fastest by typing "reboot"), and make sure you boot into the Preempt-RT kernel (note: this can also be seen shortly on bootup). When you log in, run terminal and verify that the following includes PREEMPT and RT.
uname -v

3. Add the LinuxCNC Archive Signing Key to your apt keyring by running:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 8f374fef

4. Launch synaptic again to add the "Linux CNC" repository. Once again, click on "Settings -> Repositories" now add a new source with the following settings:
Binary (deb); Address: http://linuxcnc.org/; Distribution: wheezy; Section: 2.7-uspace base

5. Update the package list from linuxcnc.org, either by "reload"-ing in Synaptic or by running:
sudo apt-get update

6. Install uspace/LinuxCNC, either by selecting "linuxcnc-uspace" in Synaptic (this will auto-select dependencies and documentation) or run:
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace
both should result in the exact same outcome.

Hope that helps. If any issues with replacing one RT kernel with another occur you could try a clean install. So basically, standard wheezy then the abovementioned. All the links for that kind of approach were already mentioned in this thread,
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 02:32 by grub. Reason: Extending on the procedure

More
18 Oct 2015 01:54 #63881 by johannbuck
Grub, I reread your posting and I think that I understand now, Wheezy 2.7 is both, RTAI and RT. Is that correct.

More
18 Oct 2015 02:11 - 18 Oct 2015 02:44 #63882 by grub
Yes.

RTAI is the abbreviation for real-time application interface which is one blend of RT (real-time) kernel. RT-Preempt is a preemtible real-time kernel (more here ) and one of the two RT kernels currently supported by LinuxCNC 2.7+ (with RTAI being the other).

Seems like we were constantly missunderstanding each other.

If I finally cut down to the case and if that helps answer your question feel free to give me a thank you and/or karma. :laugh:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 02:44 by grub. Reason: English

More
18 Oct 2015 02:24 #63883 by PCW
One missing detail is that you also need to install the uspace version of LinuxCNC

The wiki has instructions for the complete process

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds