Windows Subsystem for Linux

More
13 Jan 2020 23:36 #154793 by reynolds087
Does anyone know if there is a way to install LinuxCNC on a Windows 10 computer using Windows Subsystem for Linux? Any help with this would be great. I have to run it from my work laptop, and would hate to have to set up a dual boot situation. I've already read that a virtual machine would not work so this would be the next best option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2020 06:03 #154804 by Mike_Eitel
No way.
U need real-time.

More
20 Jan 2020 02:27 #155222 by Holsty
Replied by Holsty on topic Windows Subsystem for Linux
What about using something like this to convert windows into a RTOS?

More
20 Jan 2020 05:27 #155232 by Mike_Eitel
Yes, in professional world you can have rt-windows since many years. Just insert more coins. And linuxcnc is based on "his" linux-rt api.

More
20 Jan 2020 15:34 #155261 by Todd Zuercher
It might be "possible" but likely isn't practical.

More
08 Mar 2020 22:23 - 08 Mar 2020 22:41 #159523 by Computer.guru
I know what you want to do, my CNC table runs windows 10 using the Linux subsystem connecting to a single board computer running Debian controlling my CNC Plasma Table. Motion control using servos is the only thing I can seem to think realtime has to do with this situation besides being able to talk to the servo encoders & allow you to know where the torch is at on the screen. Mach 3 did all of this besides talking to servo encoders. Yea Mach 3 might not be as good only in certain situations. I've ran Mach3 for 6 years never a single hiccup, but windows 10 going universal is where it's at. You will never sell a Linux based cnc machine to a die-hard windows user with the windows 10 subsystem for Linux It keeps that market open for the people that either old and doesn't want to learn a new OS or a different kernel but the Linux product will sell even more.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2020 22:41 by Computer.guru. Reason: Added some content also to explain a great point..

More
08 Mar 2020 22:49 #159527 by BeagleBrainz
This is my take on the OP question.
I think the OP wants to Linuxcnc locally using the Linux subsystem on the windows machine.
What you are suggesting displaying the Linuxcnc GUI from a remote machine on a local machine.

A dual boot is the simpler the way as it appears the OP has only a single machine.

More
04 Jun 2021 11:22 #211142 by tommylight
Correction, that is Linux subsystem for Windows.
There is so much stuff blatantly taken from Linux and implemented in Windows that they could not hide it anymore, hence the above.
This is going on since win2K that had netwoking bolted on from Linux.
And Microsoft still pays a lot of money to Nowel for the right to do so.

More
05 Jun 2021 08:23 #211201 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Windows Subsystem for Linux
Another solution is to install xrdp on your Linuxcnc box and use Windows 10 Remote desktop RDP to remote into it. You will need Win10 Pro to do this.

More
05 Jun 2021 16:51 - 05 Jun 2021 17:07 #211231 by my1987toyota

There is so much stuff blatantly taken from Linux and implemented in Windows that they could not hide it anymore, hence the above.
This is going on since win2K that had netwoking bolted on from Linux.
And Microsoft still pays a lot of money to Nowel for the right to do so.

Ironic considering . Didn't Windows / Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer at one time say Linux was a cancer ?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2021 17:07 by my1987toyota.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds