LinuxCNC install from USB

More
20 Jan 2021 23:50 #196037 by ogrepsu
I am trying to install the LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO from USB. When it goes to install, it tries to detect and mount the cd-rom. I installed the LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 7 Wheezy RTAI without this problem but want to use the latest version. Anyone else run into this issue and how do you overcome it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 00:02 #196038 by ogrepsu
Replied by ogrepsu on topic LinuxCNC install from USB
NM figured it out. If you pull out the USB and mount it again then search for DVD it finds it. Odd install.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NMPatel06, landy21, jimfred

More
21 Jan 2021 00:07 #196039 by tommylight

NM figured it out. If you pull out the USB and mount it again then search for DVD it finds it. Odd install.

That seems to be the only solution so far, although i did install it several times and had no such issues a lot of members here reported that same issue.
Sorry for the late reply.

More
30 Jan 2021 13:45 #197157 by Swag
Replied by Swag on topic LinuxCNC install from USB
For whatever reason, I couldn't get it to install from USB at all (though I had previously installed 2.7 using USB). I ended up using a CDROM drive via USB. (Motherboard is a J3455B-ITX). Now reinstalling again after the system suddenly stopped booting to the GUI <sigh>.

More
30 Jan 2021 14:20 #197160 by robertspark
go into the bios (f2 / F10 / delete)

change the boot order to usb first

More
30 Jan 2021 16:32 #197162 by Swag
I don't think that would have helped. It will boot from USB, but after starting the graphical installer from USB it can no longer find the install files from the USB.

Anyway, installing from CD worked.

More
30 Jan 2021 16:40 #197163 by robertspark
Could it be the file size limit on the USB

FAT16 / FAT32 / 2gb / 4gb limit (I use old usb sticks and have not had a problem, the one I tend to use the most is probably a 4gb stick and I've reinstalled LinuxCNC from iso a number of times whilst I dabble and try to figure out how to break it).

More
30 Jan 2021 16:51 #197165 by Swag
I have to assume it is something with Debian 10 as it worked fine when installing on the same system with the Debian 9 - LCNC2.7 ISO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
30 Jan 2021 23:04 #197182 by pdxalz
Replied by pdxalz on topic LinuxCNC install from USB
I found that the utility I used to make the USB drive made a difference. I first used the Rufus running Windows 10. Using the recommended ISO Image mode I had the detect problem, but ejecting the usb and reinstalling allowed it to work. In Rufus, if I selected DD image mode, it worked fine with no problems. Also, if I used a linux system and used the "dd" method it also worked fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
01 Feb 2021 00:54 #197264 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC install from USB

I have to assume it is something with Debian 10 as it worked fine when installing on the same system with the Debian 9 - LCNC2.7 ISO.

Yes, this is a problem with the Debian 10 installer.

The workaround is to unplug and re-plug the USB stick at the point that it complains about not finding the CDROM...
The following user(s) said Thank You: garrans, joekline9

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds