LinuxCNC is in debian now

More
08 Mar 2022 05:09 #236631 by aabtech
Now LinuxCNC has been accepted into the main Debian distribution how do we directly download package from apt ? .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2022 08:15 #236636 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC is in debian now
Yes, but its in the unstable branch at the moment and will get to testing in a week or so.
Testing will become Debian 12 Bookworm which will be the next Debian release.

You can try these steps I tested over the weekend and shared on another thread last night
Install a version of debian
sudo apt install geany curl
sudo geany /etc/apt/sources.list
make sure any lines containing cd are commented out with a # replace any reference to bullseye, buster or stable with unstable eg:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace linuxcnc-uspace-dev mesaflash
reboot
type uname -a  (to check PREEMPT-RT kernel is running as its installed by the install)
Linuxcnc should be in the menus or open a terminal and type: linuxcnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
09 Mar 2022 16:26 #236758 by my1987toyota
It will be interesting to see everything work together in one download when that happens. Here's hoping. Though I will miss Linux Mint
and LCnC. I am still running the BeagleBrains special . 2.8.0

More
10 Mar 2022 21:11 #236891 by Todd Zuercher
It should filter down through to other Debian based distros eventually. But if you like Mint use LMDE. It usually isn't quite as polished as regular Mint, but it tends to be less Debain like than plain Debian, (mintier?) but still works with plain Debain repositories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Mar 2022 03:58 #236913 by rodw

It will be interesting to see everything work together in one download when that happens. Here's hoping. Though I will miss Linux Mint
and LCnC. I am still running the BeagleBrains special . 2.8.0

I might add that there is only one line to actually install linuxcnc in the script above.. In the next few weeks, it will filter down into their testing branch (aka Bookworm) so you could just grab a Bookworm ISO and you'd be in business.
PREEMPT_RT was installed as a dependency.

I had to give up Mint because they are too far behind for both hardware drivers and Python versions  to run linuxcnc on my PC whereas Debian has all the dependencies. Bullseye is quite nice even if a bit different..

More
11 Mar 2022 14:40 #236938 by tommylight
Bookworm has networking issues for now, the /etc/resolve.conf file is missing and a shortcut is in it's place, but it can not be overwriten.
That is to be expected as it in still in testing, just a heads up if someone want to test the "bleeding edge".

More
11 Mar 2022 18:45 #236950 by rodw

Bookworm has networking issues for now, the /etc/resolve.conf file is missing and a shortcut is in it's place, but it can not be overwriten.
That is to be expected as it in still in testing, just a heads up if someone want to test the "bleeding edge".

This was fixed in V 1.63 of resolvconf which was pushed to Debian on 17 Dec 2021, 5 days after it was first reported.
It is expected that resolv.conf does not exist under some conditions.
Bookworm (testing) is not really the bleeding edge. The edge is  actually the unstable branch where linuxcnc currently lives. 
Can't be any less stable  than our own master branch which so  many use.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Mar 2022 04:13 #237288 by aabtech
Replied by aabtech on topic LinuxCNC is in debian now
I tried the installation on debian 11 on a vetual machine and it worked. Thanks RODW you are doing great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
15 Mar 2022 08:16 #237300 by rodw

I tried the installation on debian 11 on a vetual machine and it worked. Thanks RODW you are doing great.

Great work. Thanks for confirming it works!
Note you are no longer on in Debian 11 but Sid or unstable so I think that means you are on Debian 13 

More
15 Mar 2022 21:48 #237387 by prcdslnc13
Got it setup with sid on my old Dell Precision I use for testing. the 5.16.04 PREEPT-RT kernel crashes on the nouveau drivers leaving me with just a cursor on reboot, but I can run off 5.10.0-9-rt ok. Overall this is pretty awesome. Good work!

I may roll back to testing in a couple weeks when this hits bookworm.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds