Axis Gui will no longer home X and Z (lathe)

More
13 Apr 2022 20:30 #240182 by dreiii
Complete upgrade install. Went from Wheezy to Buster.  Used new Buster Live DVD. When homing the homing character will appear next to the appropriate axis however you can do nothing after that except jog the X and Z.  Anything else gives a homing error.  Axis Not Homed. Been using Axis for 14 years off and on with no problems.  Any ideas.  I am strictly a user and not a tinkerer or experimenter.  It is probably something simple, however I can find no answers in the places I have searched. Any help appreciated.

PS also loaded the TK??????? gui and could not home there either although it appeared to. Again homing errors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2022 20:56 #240184 by tommylight
Upload hal and ini files here on the forum, please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
14 Apr 2022 00:56 #240200 by dreiii
Yes sir, Thank you . First thing in the morning. Just went through torrential rain and severe lightning storm.

More
14 Apr 2022 15:44 #240238 by dreiii
Enclosed are configs dir and hallib dir 

Had to remove .gz ext to upload. Was .tar.gz 

File Attachment:

File Name: iniandhalfiles.tar
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9

More
14 Apr 2022 16:14 #240241 by dreiii
Problem solved. Used default config without going through stepconf. It has been several years since using this machine and do not remember if I have ever installed without going through stepconf. I have installed on several computers over the last 14 years and this is the first time that this has occurred.

Thank you for your help. I should have thought of this yesterday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9, tommylight

More
19 Apr 2022 21:50 #240688 by andypugh
Your existing configuration really ought to have "just worked"

More
20 Apr 2022 00:23 #240710 by dreiii
Reinstalled Wheezy and all is good. Probably nothing in Buster that I need anyway. After dealing with computers in general since before IBM came out with the PC, I have found many things that should have but didn't just work.

Thank you for your reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Apr 2022 11:35 #240729 by andypugh
The difference here is that you are talking to the chap whose job it is to make it work. The 2.8.2 conversion script is mine, and I am interested to know why it failed with your config.

More
22 Apr 2022 20:37 #240910 by dreiii
Would you like for me to try to reinstall and try again. I don't know why I wanted to upgrade but I did. Since I now know the head man I should be able to get it going.

1. I did the initial setup of the lathe using the default config.
2.That would not home. I would show the homed icon next to the axis. When trying to set the offset it would respond with cannot do with out axis homed.
3.Then setup using the config utility. Only selection i made or edited was to tell it I had a Sherline lathe. I "think" that was all I changed/made. Would not let me test the axes.
4.At that point it would home and let me use the touch off. Could manually move axes.
5.Loaded file (good file). It would start running and the stepper would click every now and then and after quite a few clicks the axis would move maybe .002-.005".
6. Two problems was my limit so I just reinstalled Wheezy and went back to work. No problems.

I have communicated with you in the past through some way or another. Did you have anything to do with CamBam about 8-10 years ago?

I went back and read your message again. You speak of a conversion script. I did not do a conversion, I did a complete reinstall from a CD.

More
22 Apr 2022 23:22 #240941 by andypugh
You should have been able to update to 2.8.2 and use the same config flles as you were using before, no need to go back to defaults.

ie, save your "linuxcnc" folder, install 2.8.2 then reinstate the "linuxcnc" folder (with your configs and G-code). When you start LinuxCNC a one-time script will run to make any required configuration changes.

You can update _just_ LinuxCNC on your Wheezy machine to 2.8.2 if you want.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds