Installation, PC want's to mount a CD-ROM!!! Why and how please?

More
20 Apr 2022 01:59 #240714 by SimonCNC123
Hi Folks, I know it's not really a CNCLinux issue but I am trying to install Debian 10 (linuxcnc 2.8.2 - buster iso) on a Dell Vostro 320 PC, I am using an SD card installed in a USB card reader. When I boot the PC and start the installation, I get to a point where it wants to detect and mount a CD-ROM. As I am not using a CD-ROM , I can't get past this point in the installation, and I don't know how to point it to the USB drive instead! Any help please?
BTW, I have just completed a successful retrofit of a Multicam 140 XYZ Router with a Mesa 7i76 card, I'll post some info shortly.

Cheers S 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2022 08:49 #240720 by tommylight
When it asks for a CD, remove the usb, wait 10 seconds, insert the usb, wait 10 seconds, hit enter.
Usually this moves things along.

More
21 Apr 2022 03:23 #240776 by SimonCNC123
Thanks very much, that worked. Unfortunately it looks like the PC has other issues with bad drive sectors. I have my system up and running perfectly with a Raspberry Pi 4 but I want to run Probe Basic and have not found a straight forward description of how to install it on a pi. I get stuck at the section in the tutorial where I have to set the ProbeBasicInstaller file to run as a program, The Buster OS on the Pi doesn't give this option and I haven't been able to launch the program any other way!

More
21 Apr 2022 10:53 #240787 by tommylight
In a terminal
sudo chmod +x name_of_the_installer_file
That makes it executable even on RPI.

More
23 Apr 2022 07:09 #240969 by SimonCNC123
Thanks, I'm getting these errors when I run the installer file:
````
pi@linuxcnc:~/probe_basic $ sudo ./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run 
./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: 1: ./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: ELF: not found
./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: 2: ./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: @!: not found
./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: 3: ./ProbeBasic-Installer-py2+3.g231c7ff.run: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

````
This is on a Raspberry Pi 4 running all the versions suggested in the installation instructions, and having followed the update and PyQt installs.

More
24 Apr 2022 15:16 #241073 by Elco
I am running into the same problem on a Biostar mini-ITX board. But I boot from an SSD (loaded with the linuxcnc 2.8.2 - buster iso). Running live is fine, but when I request installation, it hangs in the same CD-ROM loop. I have no USB to remove, and it did not like unplugging the SSD at all...
Is the current ISO not made for a regular installation?

Elco

More
24 Apr 2022 17:16 #241087 by tommylight
It can not be done without a USB or a DVD.
Well it can, but not easy at all.

More
27 Apr 2022 21:40 #241406 by andypugh

I am running into the same problem on a Biostar mini-ITX board. But I boot from an SSD (loaded with the linuxcnc 2.8.2 - buster iso). 

Is that SSD meant to be the boot drive? The ISO is a bootable ISO image, but is really intended to be an installer and test environment. 

This issue with looking for a DVD is a problem with the Debian installer, and is only found on a subset of machines. You might find more answers looking on generic Debian forums. 

More
27 Apr 2022 23:25 #241414 by tommylight
He has written the ISO image to SSD and is booting the PC from it and at the same time trying to install on that same SSD.

More
28 Apr 2022 23:33 #241587 by andypugh

He has written the ISO image to SSD and is booting the PC from it and at the same time trying to install on that same SSD.

I wonder if that can ever work? 

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds