Trying to install EMC2 on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwh

More
15 Jan 2011 18:15 #6711 by GTISam
I'm trying to install EMC2 on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. Since I'm a beginner with Linux and don't have any programming experience the problem could be something small that I have missed.

I used git to download the source code to the emc2-dev directory. It would take about 5hrs to download the .iso file so that is simply not an option for me. Also, I assumed since there was no pre-compiled links for Natty Narwhal I would have to compile the source code myself??? I then followed the steps as described in wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins..._the_source_with_git

"sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui"
"git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/emc2.git emc2-dev"

Then I accidentally skipped a step and changed dir to src before typing:
"git branch --track v2.4_branch origin/v2.4_branch"
"git checkout v2.4_branch"
I didn't think this would make a difference.

Typing ./autogen.sh produces an error ./autogen.sh: "./autogen.sh: line 6: autoconf: command not found" . I looked in the autoconf.sh file and line 6 looks like this: "*:configure:*) autoconf; touch configure ;;" I tried to find the autoconf file, but there is noting like that in the directory.

What should I do? Did I follow an incorrect procedure or was a file corrupted during download?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2011 19:53 - 15 Jan 2011 19:53 #6713 by BigJohnT
Well I'd say you missed something huge... if you didn't build the RTAI kernal for your distro it will never work unless you just want to install the sim.

If your kinda new to linux I recommend the liveCD even if it take 5 hrs to download just use wget so you can resume the download.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Getting_EMC.html#r3_2

Otherwise your in for a long time to get this to work

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins...inux_to_compile_emc2

John
Last edit: 15 Jan 2011 19:53 by BigJohnT.

More
15 Jan 2011 19:54 #6714 by cmorley
I hate to discourage you but you are wandering down a tough road.
You must patch 11.04 with a rtai kernal.:http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RtaiSteps
not sure if that is the most up to date or best guide its just a sample of what must be done.
after patching 11.04 with RTAI then you would compile EMC.
There is a reason the EMC team does not make binaries for each and every new distribution.
It's time consuming to get everything right that works on the many different systems.
patching a new kernal for RTAI is advance stuff.
Why do you want 11.04?

More
16 Jan 2011 09:36 #6723 by GTISam
I started off with 10.04, but the automatic updates must have upgraded to 11.04. It seems like the best would be to go back to 10.04 and then install EMC2, maybe from the liveCD.

OK, what do I do to get back to 10.04? Would I loose all my setting and data if I reinstall using the Ubuntu LiveCD with EMC2, or is there another easier way?

More
16 Jan 2011 13:31 #6728 by BigJohnT
I don't know how to reverse exactly but I think it is in the synaptic package manager somewhere.

Another way is to back up all your data then do a fresh install with the liveCD.

John

More
17 Jan 2011 20:19 #6758 by dab77
backup and do a new fresh install.
automatic update installs 10.10. April of 2011 isn't yet now..
trying to go back to an older realase is always a mess.

More
03 May 2011 07:15 #9549 by Nick
Hi there!

I've tried to install EMC2 using installation script on Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and it worked well. Also I've tested upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 with installed EMC2. All of those worked.

But after upgrading to 11.04 there is an dependency issue. emc2 depends on python (<2.7) so the installation fails. There's no other solution except not installing emc2 in the aptitude dependency solver. Does anybody know hao to solve this problem?

More
05 May 2011 07:03 #9606 by Nick
Any help with dependency problem?

More
05 May 2011 20:52 #9613 by BigJohnT
Nick,

You might try the mailing list as this is a pretty unsual question.

Upgrading from a LTS is supposed to break EMC and the RTAI AFAIK.

John

More
06 May 2011 04:22 #9625 by candelo
Hi, I'm in the same situation, I upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 and my EMC2 doesn't work.

please Help me!

thank you.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds