resizing virtual keyboard

More
10 May 2023 08:47 #271092 by pistrix
Does anyone knows how to resize the virtual keyboard (onboard) in Gmoccapy? I have a 16:9 touchscreen screen with the Gmoccapy running in full screen. The virtual keyboard gets unusably large and I can't find a way to make it smaller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2023 09:12 #271095 by HansU
Replied by HansU on topic resizing virtual keyboard
If you are using LinuxCNC 2.9 / Gmoccapy >= 3.4.0 it is right here:

[linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/gui/gmoccapy.html#_appearance]

If not, you have to edit the gmoccapy.glade file in /usr/share/gmoccapy
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 May 2023 17:52 #271117 by pistrix
Replied by pistrix on topic resizing virtual keyboard
Thank you. I am still on 2.8.4 so no option to change the height in GUI and I am way too inexperienced to edit the glade file. If I knew what exactly to do, I would try but I couldn't find any examples to follow.

btw, the parameter Height, does it also change the width of the keyboard because it is the width that makes the keyboard awkward to use.

More
10 May 2023 18:26 #271120 by HansU
The width of the keyboard will expanded to the window width. But a good hint, I will try to add a setting for that to 2.9 as well.

Fir the height you can search the glade file for:
                          <object class="GtkNotebook" id="ntb_info">
and add a line like this below:
                            <property name="height-request">200</property>
Not tested, but it's may worth a try.

More
11 May 2023 19:03 #271170 by HansU
I just played a bit around and it could then look like this:
Is this like you have it in mind, or do you have a better idea?
Attachments:

More
12 May 2023 06:04 #271205 by HansU

I have a 16:9 touchscreen screen with the Gmoccapy running in full screen. The virtual keyboard gets unusably large and I can't find a way to make it smaller.

Is the height ok or should that also be reduced? Even with 2.9 it's only possible to increase the height currently.

More
14 May 2023 12:26 #271341 by pistrix
Spot on! This is exactly what I think would be nice and useful to have. The height was ok in my case but the keyboard is such an important input feature that should be adjustable both in height and width.

Another idea would be to follow the real keyboard size standards (e.g. thegamingsetup.com/wp-content/uploads/Ke...ng-Setup-scaled.webp) For example, if the screen size allowed, the virtual keyboard would always be equal in size to the physical keyboard. If the screen would be smaller, than the ratio between height and width would be kept constant. But, this brings complications, I know, as the virtual keyboard layouts can be changed and with this, the ratio would also have to be changed.

Would it be possible to modify the width in my version of Gmoccapy by tweaking the glade file?

Thank you so much for your efforts!

More
14 May 2023 16:31 #271350 by HansU

Another idea would be to follow the real keyboard size standards (e.g. thegamingsetup.com/wp-content/uploads/Ke...ng-Setup-scaled.webp) For example, if the screen size allowed, the virtual keyboard would always be equal in size to the physical keyboard. If the screen would be smaller, than the ratio between height and width would be kept constant. But, this brings complications, I know, as the virtual keyboard layouts can be changed and with this, the ratio would also have to be changed.

The problem is that gmoccapy doesn't know neither about the physical size nor about the screen resolution.
The latter could be implemented I guess, but the physical size would be a bit more complicated and only possible for screens with digital interface telling their physical size.
But I think this would be a bit overdone. I think setting a fixed size with fixed aspect ratio would be sufficient.

Would it be possible to modify the width in my version of Gmoccapy by tweaking the glade file?

Yes I can do that. What size (in pixels) should be keyboard have?

More
14 May 2023 19:22 - 14 May 2023 19:24 #271366 by pistrix
I agree; setting a fixed size with fixed aspect ratio is best!

For my case, the width of 870 pixels would be perfect. Thank you!
Last edit: 14 May 2023 19:24 by pistrix.

More
21 May 2023 13:34 #271816 by HansU
Please find a version with a 870 pixel wide keyboard attached here:
Attachments:

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.864 seconds