PathPilot keeps running out of room in the partition

More
21 Jul 2019 00:36 #140025 by Vmax549
Can anyone explain WHY I keep running out of room in teh partition. I only get to make about 3dozen changes in pathPilto setup and I get teh Message that I am running out of roomt. I have even deleted as much as I can from PathPilot to make more room.

IF it ever reaches 0 then the game is over, from that point you cannot recover. You have to reload teh system from scratch from teh USB V2.0

There is a TON of empty space left on teh SSD that it does not use. I tried Gpart to expand teh partition BUT it said there was no room left to expand it ???? Does not make sense to me.

I am about to hit zero again and have no idea how to proceed.

Anyone have ideas ??

(;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2019 02:12 #140033 by Vmax549
OK I was modify teh ini and hal files. There was 472MB of space available. I modified 4 simple text files and the available space went to ZERO. HOW is that possible ?? NOW the only thing I can do is start over and reinstall the system AGAIN. This make 12 times I have had to reinstal for running out of space.

There must be a serious memory leak somwhere as ALL I do is modify the hal and ini files.

ANY ideas ??

(;-( TP

More
21 Jul 2019 09:55 #140060 by tommylight
During install does it ask what drive to use ?
If it does, there must be the option of using the entire drive.
If you are doing a direct copy, you need to use gparted to expand (grow) the partition, there are plenty of tutorials online on how to do that.
Never used pathpilot.

More
21 Jul 2019 12:14 #140070 by Vmax549
When PathPi;ot installs it creates 3 or 4 small partions. The SSD is a 250GB drive and there is a TON of leftover unused space on the drive that never gets used.

Yes you can pick the install to drive but that is it you cannot specify how much it uses on install.

(;-) TP

More
21 Jul 2019 13:01 #140075 by Vmax549
Well I am locked out of this session of PathPilot (zero space left) I have to reinstall it again.

I am finding it very HARD to work with PathPilot anymore as this is rediculus to work with trying to use a 7i80. The 7i80 is a great idea as it gives you ETHERNET connection and plenty of useable I/O but so far it is impossible to fully setup in PathPilot. At least by me.

PathPilot may be OK if you just CLONE a tormach machine and that is it .

OH WELL , It is what it is. (;-) TP

More
21 Jul 2019 13:06 #140076 by Todd Zuercher
No reason you should need to reinstall.

Do you have another ordinary Linux installation disk or usb drive?
Pop it in go through the installation steps up to where the drive partitioning is done. Choose the custom option and use the partitioning tool to readjust the partition sizes of the ones you need resized.

More
21 Jul 2019 14:33 #140080 by smgvbest
It's not a memory leak, you'll have a fixed swap disk which if your using a SDD you should disable and follow directions on the web to setup linux for SDD use. you'll wear out the drive quickly due to the amounts of writes swapping does, if you haven't already done this that is.

you stated gpartd won't let you resize partiions, did you do this from PP install or from a live-cd? I tried to do from PP while with PP not running and it worked ok.
be sure to select the root partion '/' then right click and resize. increase the space, I went from 32G to 40G as a test. click ok then click the check mark to apply.

what happens when you do that ?
can you post a screen cap of your gparted session to see what you have?

More
21 Jul 2019 18:44 #140099 by Vmax549
IF I do not reinstall I can not access PathPilot. I cannot save or copy anything in teh root folder.

I only have teh PathPilot USB drive stick to install and it does its own thing and there are no options that I recall. It asks if this is teh drive you want to install on and then you press teh install button.

The installed partitions are very small and it leaves a ton of unused space on teh drive.

The PathPilot install was designed to install on a SSD so I would not think it would do any harm to the SSD (;-).

It looked like it had plenty of room to do simple mods like edit teh HAL and INI files. But this thing eats up memory like I do M&Ms by teh handfull.

SO NOW back to reinstalling and starting over from scratch again.

(;-)TP

More
21 Jul 2019 23:47 #140123 by smgvbest
Well, that's not entirely true, you can get into the grub menu and boot into rescue mode. in that mode you're logged in as root and root can always logon.

I'm not at my PP machine but when you boot PP look at the intital boot screen and see if it has a rescue mode, if not you can hit 'E' during the grub screen and modify the boot by changing the LINUX stanza from RO to RW and adding init=/bin/bash at the end. then boot

you'll end up in a bash shell. first thing you can do is free up space so you can boot properly.

but while there do these
df
du -s /
and paste the results

also, there is a live-cd version of gparted , you might want to use that.

PP does use a swap disc and I don't recall any parms to make it behave with a SDD.

More
21 Jul 2019 23:51 #140124 by tommylight

PP does use a swap disc and I don't recall any parms to make it behave with a SDD.

It is called swappiness and has to be set to 15 instead of 60, but please do double check, it's been several years since i did that.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds