Plasma Electronics Enclosure Idea

More
17 Dec 2019 15:54 - 17 Dec 2019 15:56 #152794 by AgentWD40
Is there any reason I couldn't use this 3'x3' metal storage cabinet as my electronics enclosure? Put some casters on the bottom, monitor and key board on top of it. Section off one shelf for the cnc electronics, ventilate it. Tons of room to logically organize components and route wiring. Rig it all up on some kind of DIY plexiglass "server rack" type of system. Put a plexiglass door in front of the shelf to keep hands out. And use the other shelves for storing manuals, notes, whatever the hell you want...

Last edit: 17 Dec 2019 15:56 by AgentWD40.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2019 16:25 #152796 by tommylight
That is a nice idea, thinking of it i did pay some heavy money for some "so so" metal enclosures, this would have been much cheaper and bigger! Thank you.

More
17 Dec 2019 19:33 #152811 by rodw
If you rack mounted everything to the top shelf you would be able to build it outside of the cabinet and remove for servicing. Cut a rectangular hole in the back or sides (or both) so you can make plates that cover it again. Mount all the connectors for motors, and limit switches etc on those plates and secure with nutserts (rivnuts). My commercial enclosure has a similar plate on the bottom where everything exits. I made my power come in from the side. This would let you remove the connectors by passing the rectangular plate back through the hole.

More
17 Dec 2019 19:47 #152812 by AgentWD40
Speaking of cabinet ventilation, I intend to put a filter on the inlet air hole assuming the fans can handle it. Does it matter what kind of air filter I use? I don't know if static electricity or anything like that comes into play here. I can buy little home AC filters at the local HVAC store or order rolls of generic cut to fit filter material on amazon...

More
17 Dec 2019 21:43 #152818 by Todd Zuercher
What you will need for a filter element will depend on the dirt contamination you'd expect to see and want to filter out. (The finer the filter the harder it will be to move air though it.)

If you really want to get fancy you could totally seal the cabinet and use a heat exchanger or AC unit. (but those can get pricey.)

More
17 Dec 2019 22:30 #152820 by AgentWD40
Lots of dirt, lots of metal dust. Typical plasma / welding shop environment.

More
17 Dec 2019 22:35 #152822 by tommylight

I would venture a guess : grinding also ?
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
17 Dec 2019 22:39 #152823 by AgentWD40

I would venture a guess : grinding also ?
:)

grinder and paint makes me the welder i ain't!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
17 Dec 2019 22:52 #152824 by thefabricator03

grinder and paint makes me the welder i ain't!

I think this is appropriate.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, AgentWD40

More
18 Dec 2019 00:11 - 18 Dec 2019 00:12 #152826 by rodw
I thought you might be able to buy a small automotive panel filter and once you have your plasma cutter operational, cut a flange that could be used to secure it. I might think about that myself. even a small one will allow an enormous amount of air flow with plenty of headroom for dirt to build up. Don't forget the turbo and dump pipe while you are at it!
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 00:12 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds