7i76e + 7i85 + Laser 60W?

More
15 Aug 2021 13:59 - 15 Aug 2021 14:29 #217811 by hadcom
Hey guys, 
First of all thanks for reading this,
I'm running successfully a 7i76e + 7i85 card for over two years,
Now since i have a lot of engraving work to do with my machine i thought i buy a 60w laser and wouldn't be that hard to wire it up, well that's not my case, i fried my 7i76e and possibly my FPGA and i am getting no LED's on except if i unplug the 24V and then plug the 5V in the dedicated input. Then i get the CR12 Red LED. Now i'm sad at myself that i managed to destroy it. Well i bought a new one and to not again destroy the new card i'm asking for some help how to wire it up. The laser has : 12v, GND, PWM    or   12V, (GND/TTL-), TTL+.  I initialy had 12v and GND hooked up to a external power supply and then i putted (TTL+ to slot 3 STEP4+ (TB3)) and (TTL- to slot 1 GND (TB3)) as i had no success with the External powersupply 12v+ and GND for i tried to ground (TTL- and GND) To the ground but accidently putted 12V+ to Step4+ of the Mesa card and that's how i fried my 7i76e...  My Analog Spindle slots are free if there is a PWM 0v  to 5v because im more comfortable with 3 pins than with 4? 
I am freaking lost!

My machine has a 2.2kw Spindle with encoder, X Y Z closed loop steppers running over TB2 + 3 Linear scales on the 7i85 the rest is free and the laser can be plugged wherever it is supposed to be plug in over TTL + TTL -  Or one single PWM cable?!

Thanks for some tutorial or advice because i can not afford a third card and i am honestly pretty lost because of lack of information!

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 14:29 by hadcom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2021 16:11 #217827 by aleksamc
Replied by aleksamc on topic 7i76e + 7i85 + Laser 60W?
Possibly this connection is good. As I can see from your photos, you have small driver installed on laser that will do "power work".
The following user(s) said Thank You: hadcom

More
16 Aug 2021 18:06 #217906 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic 7i76e + 7i85 + Laser 60W?
I use a 24V laser. I not want to share the common ground of two different power supply. If you see the four cable version share the TTL- and Laser GND.
The 3 Pin cable version is connect in my case
+24V --> powersupply same for mesa card
GND --> powersupply same for mesa card
PWM + --> + 220 Ohm resistor -->TB1 PIN4 on 7i85s card last axis out
In your case different. Depend on your flashed bitfile. But verify this connection by scope measurement. I searching long time for the right pins. 

Laser power control is working over dummy axis. If i set W-axis to -4 laser have full power. It works not so bad but for real picture engraving is my mashine to big and slow. For real vector control works good.
My changes could you read here. 
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/42872-la...e-mesa-card?start=10
streamable.com/ovpkk1

More
23 Aug 2021 16:53 #218529 by hadcom
Replied by hadcom on topic 7i76e + 7i85 + Laser 60W?
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I will give it a try, i ordered some resistors :)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds