Float Switch Activated Program Paused

More
13 Dec 2019 23:15 #152624 by MakingStuff
My machine has been running fine and now all of a sudden I get this error when the arc starts. "Float switch activated program paused". Nothing I can do to keep it from happening. I know with 100% certainty that the float switch is not physically being tripped. What is going on here? I have not changed a thing on this machine. It started while I was trying to cut aluminum for the first time. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. I tried switching back to steel and it does the same thing.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2019 23:39 #152626 by MakingStuff
Ok I have figured out what is going on here. I ran Halscope and there is a blip on the float switch right when the arc starts. And after I thought about it, I did make one change. I added the black cable chain shown in the picture below. It contains the torch cable. Before adding this the torchg cable was hanging from the ceiling. Now it runs parallel with stepper and float switch wires that are in the smaller blue cable chain also shown in the picture. I think that now the arc is interfering with the float switch signal. How do I fix this?
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2019 00:01 #152627 by MakingStuff
Ok one more update. I hung the cable from the ceiling and the machine started working again. However, I need a way to run this thru the black cable chain because when the cable hangs from the ceiling, I can't open my garage door. How can I fix this so it will run thru the cable chain?

More
14 Dec 2019 00:09 #152628 by tommylight
Use shielded cable connected to ground ONLY on the electronics side, ground the machine frame properly.

More
14 Dec 2019 00:57 #152629 by PCW
You can also debounce the float switch signal in hal if shielding
is not sufficient to reduce the interference.

More
14 Dec 2019 01:04 #152630 by MakingStuff

Use shielded cable connected to ground ONLY on the electronics side, ground the machine frame properly.

The cables are shielded maybe the ground connection came loose?

More
14 Dec 2019 01:28 #152631 by MakingStuff
Ok I fixed it. I changed the switch to be normally closed instead of normally open. Then just added "_not" to the float switch pin in the hal file. Works like a charm now.

More
14 Dec 2019 01:44 #152633 by phillc54
In the connections.hal file there is a value for debounce that can be changed.

More
14 Dec 2019 02:15 #152634 by bevins
The problem is still there, it is just masked by the closed contact. Your board whatever you are using is getting the blunt of the spikes,noise or what ever it is.

I had the same type of problem and used the wire to send power to energize a relay. Contacts of the relay back at the control were used for the input. At least in my mind I isolated the issue.

More
14 Dec 2019 02:53 #152636 by MakingStuff

In the connections.hal file there is a value for debounce that can be changed.

Good to know I will check it out.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds