RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

More
25 Mar 2020 14:36 #161440 by snowgoer540
I was planning to reimage my Plasma PC, as I am on 2.8, and I would like to be on 2.9 so I have reverse run (I think when I first installed this, years ago, it wasnt stable at that time). At any rate, I was planning to reimage because I currently am on RTAI, but the PlasmaC doc says it now recommends RTPREEMPT.

To be clear, I do not have ethernet. I am running a 6i25 to a 7i76.

Do I want to be on RTPREEMPT? Or am I wasting my time with a reimage?

I imagine I can go from 2.8 to 2.9 even on RTAI without too much hassle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2020 14:54 #161444 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
RTPREEMT is the way to go.
RTAI is worth it if you need software stepping.

Chris

More
25 Mar 2020 15:05 #161450 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

RTPREEMT is the way to go.
RTAI is worth it if you need software stepping.

Chris

Thanks Chris! At least I know I'm not wasting my time.

One more question. With regard to the live CD .iso in the PlasmaC documentation, there are three different types for each:

rtpreempt.iso
rtpreempt_R13.iso
rtpreempt_R12.iso

Am I correct in assuming the latest is the one with no "R" designation, and those are older versions?

More
25 Mar 2020 15:09 #161452 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
i can't say..Phill (plasmac developer) must have built them

I'm sure he will chime in. There are a few ISO going around right now ..

More
25 Mar 2020 22:24 #161513 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
I use the R13.iso for my development machine, to go to 2.9 follow the buildbot directions.

If I were building a machine to run LinuxCNC I would use one of Robs Mint images

More
25 Mar 2020 23:25 #161519 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

If I were building a machine to run LinuxCNC I would use one of Robs Mint images

Agreed, there are 4 versions of it, all up to date with everything set up and working as Live session or installed to HDD/SSD. Just move to near the end of the thread and look for Mint with Mate version and Preempt-RT.

More
26 Mar 2020 01:27 #161525 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
First post has links to most recent releases.
All will boot fine in compatibility/legacy/bios mode, RTAI is not recommended for UEFI due to only one core being enabled. No definite answer as to why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Mar 2020 02:00 #161529 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

I use the R13.iso for my development machine, to go to 2.9 follow the buildbot directions.

Sounds good. When I do the build bot for Rob's image, do I use the one for Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, or Buster LOL. Also, the iso for Rob's mint, is that for i386 or amd64.

Sorry to be such noob.

More
26 Mar 2020 02:20 #161530 by BeagleBrainz
All are 64 bit.

To tell the truth I haven't tried installing packages from the buildbot on my images.
Stretch maybe the closest but there maybe some issues with dependencies with regards to versions of libraries.

With one click of the mouse the Mint ISOs will pull everything needed to build linuxcnc apart from getting the sources from github.

Make sure to read any docs that have a shortcut on the desktop.....you'll see what I mean if you download and image and boot from it.

As the Linuxcnc packages installed on the Mint version are a custom build, modded to include the HTML docs in separate packages you may want to remove the Linuxcnc packages, and only the Linuxcnc packages, before installing other Linuxcnc packages.
If you get stuck let me know what image you downloaded and I can package up 2.9 for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Mar 2020 11:54 #161555 by BeagleBrainz
Ok have a MATE desktop version with 2.9 uploading. Very very slow upload speeds here at the moment.
It’s about 2300 here now expect the link put up sometime around 0500 my time. Not gunna stay up all night this time ;)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds